BBC fuel mileage .... Carb, TBI, MPI, or swap for an LS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
84 3+3 K3500 454 sm465

Currently getting 6.8 mpg and its running right on the ragged edge of way too lean. Edlebrock 1404 500 cfm.

i have a friend rebuilding an edlebrock 750 (came with the truck).

So my questions is ... i need some more gas mileage. I dont drive on the interstate that much, everything is in town or county highway but the mpg seems pretty low, even for a heavy tired 454.

Can i expect to get double digits out of this motor? Would i be better off swapping over to TBI ($1000), MPI ($2200) or going for a newer LS swap?

Thanks for the input!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
with alot of stop and go you wont get much better. You could try to reduce stop and go traffic, slow down before lights when red trying to avoid coming to a complete stop and having to restart. my guess is the engine started life as low compression low powered smog motor which means it needs a minimum of new heads and cam to up the compression and torque.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I found my biggest improvement with timing. Set your initial timing around 10-12°, factory spec is way lazy for smog (think factory spec for mine was 4°). When's the last time you did a general tune up? A new cap and rotor, air filter, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, and checking that everything is functioning right can make a huge difference.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I found my biggest improvement with timing. Set your initial timing around 10-12°, factory spec is way lazy for smog (think factory spec for mine was 4°). When's the last time you did a general tune up? A new cap and rotor, air filter, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, and checking that everything is functioning right can make a huge difference.

I wouldnt even be surprised to find out gm retarded the cam on these like they did other engines.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454

i have a tune up ready to go into it when i get the new carb put on.

I did go through and fix a bunch of vacuum leaks ... i will check the timing when Im in there doing the carb next week.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
with alot of stop and go you wont get much better. You could try to reduce stop and go traffic, slow down before lights when red trying to avoid coming to a complete stop and having to restart. my guess is the engine started life as low compression low powered smog motor which means it needs a minimum of new heads and cam to up the compression and torque.

heads and cam will be in the works this summer hopefully ... i just dont want to dump money into it if i cant get double digits out of it some way some how.

smog will come off when the head and cam work is done ... ill do headers at the same time.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
heads and cam will be in the works this summer hopefully ... i just dont want to dump money into it if i cant get double digits out of it some way some how.

smog will come off when the head and cam work is done ... ill do headers at the same time.
With that big of a square, and being 4x4, and a big block, in city driving, I'd be surprised if you could regularly see double digit mileage without a downhill run and a tailwind. I know some of the guys on here have gotten into double digits, regularly with a 2wd on their tow rigs, but a crew 4x4 in stop and go just doesn't help the cause.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
With that big of a square, and being 4x4, and a big block, in city driving, I'd be surprised if you could regularly see double digit mileage without a downhill run and a tailwind. I know some of the guys on here have gotten into double digits, regularly with a 2wd on their tow rigs, but a crew 4x4 in stop and go just doesn't help the cause.

im not terribly worried about double digits in the city ... city driving is probably 30% of my time, the rest is county roads at 55 or 60. Starting in august, though, i will have 50 miles of interstate driving each way every day. I really need to hit double digits for that, hoping for 12 or so.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
im not terribly worried about double digits in the city ... city driving is probably 30% of my time, the rest is county roads at 55 or 60. Starting in august, though, i will have 50 miles of interstate driving each way every day. I really need to hit double digits for that, hoping for 12 or so.

Without an overdrive, I just don't see 12s. What axle ratio are you running?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Wow, yours is choked down with a 500 Eddy too?!

In the recent cold weather, I've been getting around 8 mpg. In the summer I get around 10 out if it. That's with 4.56 gears and 36's, along with driving through a couple very small towns and the rest at 55-60.

There are some differences though. I'm assuming you are running radials where I'm running 6 bias plies. I've also got a th400 and the 454 is fresh.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Without an overdrive, I just don't see 12s. What axle ratio are you running?

I honestly dont know. I had the covers off this summer but i didnt think to check. Im running 235/85/16 IIRC

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Wow, yours is choked down with a 500 Eddy too?!

In the recent cold weather, I've been getting around 8 mpg. In the summer I get around 10 out if it. That's with 4.56 gears and 36's, along with driving through a couple very small towns and the rest at 55-60.

There are some differences though. I'm assuming you are running radials where I'm running 6 bias plies. I've also got a th400 and the 454 is fresh.

yeah ... i think the PO put it on there thinking it would help with the altitude (6000 ft) ... which is backwards lol. All of my calculations say a 500 cfm on a 454 maxes out around 3400 rpm.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
yeah ... i think the PO put it on there thinking it would help with the altitude (6000 ft) ... which is backwards lol. All of my calculations say a 500 cfm on a 454 maxes out around 3400 rpm.

I don't have a tach, but that's probably about right. If yours is anything like mine, it chokes the engine when you want it to run hard, yet still runs rich at an idle somehow. It's also extremely sensitive to the quality of the fuel.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I don't have a tach, but that's probably about right. If yours is anything like mine, it chokes the engine when you want it to run hard, yet still runs rich at an idle somehow. It's also extremely sensitive to the quality of the fuel.

i have a protach taht the PO put into the bezel ... did a pretty good job too .. bu it seems to be reading high to me. I can run it out to 4500 rpm pretty quickly.

it does seem to run rich at idle ... and mine runs lean everywhere else (surges off idle and backfires if you dont roll into the throttle really easily) but i havent checked to see how fuel affects it yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54