Need better fuel mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Mine is an 81 c2500 with 454, th400, and 3.73 at the time. I got 11-12 with everything stock except a set of headers and the timing advanced to about 12° initial (factory spec was 4° iirc). Now I was a dumb teen so I wasn't exactly lite footed.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Install a wind sail and only drive downhill.

With my mildly built 350 even with od in the built 700r4. ..I squeeze 9-11 mixed street and highway. I didnt build this truck as an enviro friendly, tree huggin, no carbon footprint, burkenstock wearing, gluten free, non-fat soy, vegan motherfu#*er...its a truck, not a prius.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Install a wind sail and only drive downhill.

With my mildly built 350 even with od in the built 700r4. ..I squeeze 9-11 mixed street and highway. I didnt build this truck as an enviro friendly, tree huggin, no carbon footprint, burkenstock wearing, gluten free, non-fat soy, vegan motherfu#*er...its a truck, not a prius.
Lol funny thing is I wear Burkenstocks there comfy lol and everyone makes fun of me for it but I don’t care lol and I will drive my truck with them on to as I’m running down saplings and shooting dead dinosaurs out my bed sides while knawing on a rare steak:D nothing funnier then getting throat punched by a guy in a pair of granola eaters lol

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Most plug-in hybrid owners fail to realize that their vehicle is fueled by coal, mostly.

I miss the TDI for the mileage but the true cost per mile is the same as a gas car capable of 35mpg.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I doubt I would go get a newer vehicle. I'd rather keep the truck and drop a new motor a tranny in it. I've been eyeballing Chevy's connect and cruise line. The 350 RamJet with the 4L65e looks to be a nice fit. However, I don't know if the 4L65E is a direct replacement for the 700r4. I might just get the engine and have the 700r4 rebuilt. But, that's a few years down the road.
Not a fan of the cruises wife had an 11 we sold it off and bought the 08 hoe

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Most plug-in hybrid owners fail to realize that their vehicle is fueled by coal, mostly.

I miss the TDI for the mileage but the true cost per mile is the same as a gas car capable of 35mpg.

Are you talking about the ones from before VW discontinued them from the lineup because of emissions whatever? This was my first car. I started going to school 3.25 hours away from home when I was sixteen, and the economy actually made it feasible to go home a lot. Otherwise, I thought it was an awful car. It was a total money pit machine, and it finally just had too many problems as of 15 months ago where it wasn't driveable anymore so it's kind of devolved into a flower pot. I'm sure they're okay if you're an expert on that German stuff like @Honky Kong jr, and you have the tools, but they don't do anything for me. He may disagree with me, too. Kind of interested in his opinion.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Are you talking about the ones from before VW discontinued them from the lineup because of emissions whatever? This was my first car. I started going to school 3.25 hours away from home when I was sixteen, and the economy actually made it feasible to go home a lot. Otherwise, I thought it was an awful car. It was a total money pit machine, and it finally just had too many problems as of 15 months ago where it wasn't driveable anymore so it's kind of devolved into a flower pot. I'm sure they're okay if you're an expert on that German stuff like @Honky Kong jr, and you have the tools, but they don't do anything for me. He may disagree with me, too. Kind of interested in his opinion.

The MK5 is where I jumped ship. If you have to pull the outer door skin to replace a window regulator I’m out lol

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I'd rock one of the older more mechanical TDIs or the new scandal ridden one. The newer one gives over 500 miles per tank which is huge for since I drive 120 miles daily. Cant afford a newer one and cant justify a non cool car.

If I wanted better MPG I would try and find an old rwd car and swap in a 99+ F body 3800 drivetrain. Nova, Skylark, Cutlass etc. Even an old Datsun would be a pretty sweet daily with a GM V6. If price were no hindrance I'd look at a new GM turbo 2.0 for the swap. I hate driving boring cars. While I would probably waste a bunch of time and money doing that swap any GM 3.8 powered sedan in stock form would keep my wallet happier.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I put 100k on our 2013 Passat SE TDI in 3 years and track my expenses religiously. The high fuel economy made it the best for long haul road trips. The high cost of diesel and the insane maintenance nullified the fuel savings. Then the diesel-gate thing happened and it went back to VW. Totally a business decision, the cash was too good.

Looking at a Hyundai Ioniq blue (59/58 mpg) now but I am a fatty so little cars aren't fun. :)

BTW, if you read any of my other stuff, I have a 2500HD classic 8.1L. I put new tires on and lost mpg but the muffler puked and a used flowmaster was welded in, and I gained a mpg!
9.9mpg in town is good but 11.3 is better......

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
MK4 with a Pump Duece well I guess the earlier TDIs would work too. A quick injector swap in the ALH and your good to go.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Poor thing needs some love! We have a rule about kids and college; they MUST be 500 miles away or at least 5 hours. The youngest is only 2 hours and it is way to easy for her to pop in when she is bored at school. :p

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My daily which isn’t even mine a company 2015 F250 with a utility body gets 11.4 religiously lol what a turd lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64