BBC fuel mileage .... Carb, TBI, MPI, or swap for an LS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Im thinking it may be the way to go. swap the SM465 for a rebuilt unit and install the GV at the same time, then adjust driveshafts as necessary.

wouldnt it be easier to just swap in a nv4500 at that point?

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
wouldnt it be easier to just swap in a nv4500 at that point?

easier yes, but the only thing i would gain would be an OD gear. The other ratios are identical (or damn close).

If i go to the trouble of swapping drivetrain components, i want more gears in between so the truck actually moves without having to shift at 4k rpm, which is a contributing factor to poor mileage.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
easier yes, but the only thing i would gain would be an OD gear. The other ratios are identical (or damn close).

If i go to the trouble of swapping drivetrain components, i want more gears in between so the truck actually moves without having to shift at 4k rpm, which is a contributing factor to poor mileage.
why does it have to shift at 4k rpm? Pulling a load or unloaded? I had a 454 with sm465 equipped one ton and it did not like to be anywhere near 4k rpm most of the time, but it was first off the line with the 4.56 gears

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
why does it have to shift at 4k rpm? Pulling a load or unloaded? I had a 454 with sm465 equipped one ton and it did not like to be anywhere near 4k rpm most of the time, but it was first off the line with the 4.56 gears

It has ZERO umph below 2k ... gotta wind it up to 4k to get the next gear out of the low rpms.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It has ZERO umph below 2k ... gotta wind it up to 4k to get the next gear out of the low rpms.
Does not sound correct. At least when compared to the one I had with original 290k miles on it. Double check compression, carb tuning, and ignition tuning first. You have elevation disadvantage but did not think it would be that much.
In normal driving, I don't think I have ever needed to be past 2k rpms until the highway.
But the newer big block truck with the nv4500 was my favorite. Could tow mild load(5k lb) all day long in 5th gear at 80mph.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Does not sound correct. At least when compared to the one I had with original 290k miles on it. Double check compression, carb tuning, and ignition tuning first. You have elevation disadvantage but did not think it would be that much.
In normal driving, I don't think I have ever needed to be past 2k rpms until the highway.
But the newer big block truck with the nv4500 was my favorite. Could tow mild load(5k lb) all day long in 5th gear at 80mph.

i have a good friend building a new carb for me. When its ready to install we are going to check the timing, do a tune up, and come up with a plan for a rebuild. He and his dad have been racing 454s for the last 40 years ... so im going to let him tell me what to do with it and how to run it.

I do agree ... i would think 7.4 liters of burning dead dinosaurs should have a little more ass than it currently does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64