my stock 85 backfiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 1500
Engine Size
just got a very nice 85 gmc sierra classic and it runs nice but backfires when you let off the gas it is all stock except bro master muffler . It still has ths factory a i r pump hooked up any help ?thanks in advance

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
just got a very nice 85 gmc sierra classic and it runs nice but backfires when you let off the gas it is all stock except bro master muffler . It still has ths factory a i r pump hooked up any help ?thanks in advance
Ide be looking at that muffler first and foremost.

oldman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 1500
Engine Size
thanks Honkey its crap lol

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Is it backfiring through the exhaust or carb? Sounds like a distributor advance issue but hard to say without seeing it in person myself.

oldman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 1500
Engine Size
threw exhaust

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
When you let off gas? Are you geared down driving or idling in the driveway? When I was moving to AZ I was going down a large steep grade just outside of Flagstaff on I17, it was a good 5 miles of grade, I was in 4th doing 65 with a 6x12 uhaul trailer and the motor was popping out the exhaust just because of the extreme lean mixture at the RPM's that I was rolling, it was such an extreme popping the junky flex pipe that was clamped onto my header flanges EXPLODED and I was running open headers the whole way to Phoenix without knowing it, had a bad headache w/vomiting that night due to exhaust poisoning....best gas mileage I got the entire 1500mi trip though....point is, is it a lean fuel mixture popping or misfire popping? Really sounds like you got weak springs in the distributor or maybe something in the carb...At idle, can you STOMP it will it rev up smoothly and come back down smoothly?

oldman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 1500
Engine Size
yes it runs great just pow pow when you let off the gas

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much if It's popping, backfiring that's different though. Your carb may be set a little bit off, your timing may be slightly advanced, or possibly(probably) an exhaust/manifold leak. I'd check timing and inspect for exhaust leaks, especially at the exhaust manifold gaskets considering it's a stock truck... Sounds like it's just a hair off somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner