My new square

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thacheetah11

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Classic Sierra
Engine Size
Been lookin for a squarebody for a long time and finally found this one... This 84 k10 was bought for $3,000. All original and in good shape... I was wondering what would be the first thing I should do? Any suggestions are welcome! Hope this picture helps...
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Very nice truck, I'd just do a full service on it and drive/enjoy it..

Fastereddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd get rid of the ford behind it. Lol :sorry:
Maybe source some factory center caps. Truck looks great:cheers:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
good lookin truck!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice Truck, you did good. Any plans for it? Lift Kit or bigger shoes? Axle or Gear upgrade?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Nice looking truck. I'm a steering guy since the one I bought had a bunch of issues.

-make sure ur draglink is flat (if it looks old, rebuild it for cheap via rock auto parts....don't have a tie rod tool.....get one locally as they are only about $10)
-look for cracks in the frame where the steering box bolts up (the frame likes to flex on these) This is an IMPORTANT ONE!!!
-check your rag joint for slop. If you've got it read up on the Jeep steering shaft mod....it's cheap, easy and helps a lot (I bought the shaft for ~$12, the rebuild kit for the rag joint was about $10, the shaft is better. Keep your shaft for the next guy if sell it).
-look at a headlight harness if you feel your headlights are dim (~$35)
-change diff. fluid (cheap/easy)....paint the cover while you got it off
-spring bushings mine was a pain but that was before someone posted a video of the quick way (search for it)
-check balljoints, ujoints (shaft and front axle), tierods
-complete grounding, there was a post on this specific subject (bad grounds will haunt you)
-shocks
-doors hard to shut? adjust or add pex to the post

Long list, but a few things that I will check or do to any new square I buy. Every bit of it I've learned from these guys on here. Hopefully the next will be a crewcab or a suburban. And if I'm really lucky it will have and NP205/6 bolt transfer case in it!

thacheetah11

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Classic Sierra
Engine Size
Well, I'm new at this old truck thing. I'm VERY GREEN at restoring/mechanical work. So far my plans are...

1. Service Entire drivetrain.
2. Get everything working straight. (Power locks, wipers, etc)

After that, honestly have no clue. This truck is so good looking, it makes me want to keep it original? I had visions of buying one and putting bigger tires and a small lift.

Also, this is a California vehicle that somehow made it to Alabama... Should I get rid of the emissions part of the truck? I'd like for it to sound better.

One more thing, I'll post more pictures tomorrow when it's daylight. And that wasn't my Ford! That was the previous owners! Haha

And I have one center cap, he said the other was stolen so he took that one off. I'll have to find another. :(

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
part of Alabama? I grew up in the 80's in Troy/Brundidge area.

Only thing that might not be easy to take back to original in the above list I gave was the grounding. Been a while since I read through it, but if anything it could save some headaches down the road. All the other stuff is add/remove stuff.

As for emissions, I think you'll get more power out of it, but I'll let the pro's chime in.

If it's got a quadrajet on it, you may want to find out who the super pro is at rebuilding them and have it rebuilt and then tune it yourself. Or do it all yourself. There's a lot of power and gas savings in that carb if you know what your doing and have patience. I have neither so I didn't get very far....too many projects.

Actually, if you have the time, it would be a good thing to learn. I can only fathom the feeling you get from tuning one perfect. Read around the web and you'll see what I mean.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, I'm new at this old truck thing. I'm VERY GREEN at restoring/mechanical work. So far my plans are...

1. Service Entire drivetrain.
2. Get everything working straight. (Power locks, wipers, etc)

After that, honestly have no clue. This truck is so good looking, it makes me want to keep it original? I had visions of buying one and putting bigger tires and a small lift.

Also, this is a California vehicle that somehow made it to Alabama... Should I get rid of the emissions part of the truck? I'd like for it to sound better.

One more thing, I'll post more pictures tomorrow when it's daylight. And that wasn't my Ford! That was the previous owners! Haha

And I have one center cap, he said the other was stolen so he took that one off. I'll have to find another. :(

Have you figured out yet? We don't miss much !!! A picture really is worth a 1000 words on this forum. I'm with you though, the truck looks to good to ******. So long as you're not butchering it, a small lift, wheels and tires are able to always go back to OEM so it doesn't take to much away from the "Stock OEM Original" value.

thacheetah11

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Classic Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
Nice looking truck, the center caps are easy to find, ebay,lmc,classicparts.com,etc. I would leave the emissions alone, mine were taken off before I bought it and I think it hurt the gas mileage and it didn't make the engine run any better. Mine's an 86 so the carburetor has a solenoid on it, so when I had it professionally rebuilt they disabled that. Congrats and good luck with it.

thacheetah11

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Classic Sierra
Engine Size
Well, I really have no plan. I know I want to shore up everything under the hood first.

2. New exhaust. If you guys can help with this area, I would be very appreciative. I want it to sound good while ideling but I don't want to wake up an entire city block if I want to kick it...

3. Freshen up the interior... New carpet and fix some of the convenience items like my power locks and slow Windows. Also want to get my cruise control working....

4. Lastly, I want bigger tires and a ver small lift. There is a two tone long bed k10 somewhere on this site that awesome... If I find it, I'll link it here.

Last thing is a obvious paint job.

I'm probably missing something.. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nice looking truck. I'm a steering guy since the one I bought had a bunch of issues.

-make sure ur draglink is flat (if it looks old, rebuild it for cheap via rock auto parts....don't have a tie rod tool.....get one locally as they are only about $10)
-look for cracks in the frame where the steering box bolts up (the frame likes to flex on these) This is an IMPORTANT ONE!!!
-check your rag joint for slop. If you've got it read up on the Jeep steering shaft mod....it's cheap, easy and helps a lot (I bought the shaft for ~$12, the rebuild kit for the rag joint was about $10, the shaft is better. Keep your shaft for the next guy if sell it).
-look at a headlight harness if you feel your headlights are dim (~$35)
-change diff. fluid (cheap/easy)....paint the cover while you got it off
-spring bushings mine was a pain but that was before someone posted a video of the quick way (search for it)
-check balljoints, ujoints (shaft and front axle), tierods
-complete grounding, there was a post on this specific subject (bad grounds will haunt you)
-shocks
-doors hard to shut? adjust or add pex to the post

Long list, but a few things that I will check or do to any new square I buy. Every bit of it I've learned from these guys on here. Hopefully the next will be a crewcab or a suburban. And if I'm really lucky it will have and NP205/6 bolt transfer case in it!
I tried looking up the groundings bc I could use some help with those to. It didn't work. Could you be a little more specific please.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Start here.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12293&highlight=Ground

Latest posts