My engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Well the new short block should be ready on Thursday, hopefully I can find time to run and pick it up, got the brackets and stuff repainted today and the intake manifold all cleaned up, should be ready to put the thing back together this weekend... also does anyone know if i have to do anything special to line the clutch or anything up when i put the engine back in i have never messed with a manual before

Clutch alignment tools come in handy, its just a little plastic thing that looks kinda like a tampon applicator but it has splines.

Second thing I recommend is a flywheel holder too, I think im the only one on this forum that uses one though.

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Well they finished the short block today, looks like they did a real nice job on it, we just got back from picking it up and are planning on assembling the rest of it in the morning. I would like to get it all put together and in tomorrow but that will depend alot on wether my help wants to help lol

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Otay guys, I need some help, got the pump, pan, heads, timing cover, harmonic balancer, lifters, all on last night, we were gonna put the intake manifold on but we can't remember the trick to how much to tighten the rockers... any advice

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Tighten to zero lash, then 1/2 - 3/4 turn further.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Otay guys, I need some help, got the pump, pan, heads, timing cover, harmonic balancer, lifters, all on last night, we were gonna put the intake manifold on but we can't remember the trick to how much to tighten the rockers... any advice

It has been a while but , bring it up to the # 1 cyl. , check the lifters so they are not up on the cam lobe , and tighten the rockers while twisting the push rod until you feel some resitance , but don't let them push down the pluger in the lifter and then go 1/2 to 3/4 turn more. Then just follow the firing order around and do each cyl. the same way and you shoud be good.

It's been a few years but thats what I remember

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Well we got the motor all put together and got it mounted up to the trans and bolted in, tomorrow after work I will start putting all accessories on and hooking everything back up.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I just did a Yahoo search,small block chevy valve adjustment.The first link Is Dirt forum.This is the easyest way to run valves on a small block.It gives a chart with#1 on tdc ya run 8 valves then rotate 360 and run the other 8.see the chart its real easy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just did a Yahoo search,small block chevy valve adjustment.The first link Is Dirt forum.This is the easyest way to run valves on a small block.It gives a chart with#1 on tdc ya run 8 valves then rotate 360 and run the other 8.see the chart its real easy.

If you can find that link wagonman, go ahead and post it here in the thread. As long as its not a direct competitor to our forum, or a malicious site, link to other sites are allowed here. :waytogo:

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Well.... still working on getting the motor in and running, it's not going near as fast as I want it too, I am working nights right now and just don't have the time during the daylight to get it done, plus I'm learning as i go so that is a process also and the buddy that is helping me is on a completely different work schedule than me and we are having a hard time finding a time to work on it together, hopefully if he can get over in the morning we will have it running tomorrow. All we have left right now is hooking up the exhaust, filling all fluids, putting in the distributor and plug wires and firing it up.

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
BOOYAH... she is alive and well, lol. Just got the motor running, valves adjusted, all we have to do yet is dial in the timing and make sure she's good to go! Hopefully tomorrow, and sorry no pics yet, I will try and take some tomorrow

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BOOYAH... she is alive and well, lol. Just got the motor running, valves adjusted, all we have to do yet is dial in the timing and make sure she's good to go! Hopefully tomorrow, and sorry no pics yet, I will try and take some tomorrow

Awesome News !!! Yep, pics REQUIRED or possible infraction may result. :High 5:

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: JK Post up when you can. A short video maybe too?? This is the shifter K20 truck right??

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
That is correcto. the 82 K20 manual!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That is correcto. the 82 K20 manual!

I'd sure like to make a funny about you tuning my truck up real good, but under the circumstances it wouldn't be to funny would it? Hopefully after the motor install you have a bit stronger hold on the truck and figure something else out to get your roof done. I'd really hate to see you sell it. K20's are sure a bit tougher to find, so odds of getting another later on when times are better are slim. Pops has been looking for an auto K20 and it hasn't been easy. Still looking. He wants 84-87 though and that is a bit of the issue too.

If you ever get a chance, some pics of your frame and some measurements would be great too. We've been talking about comparing K10 frames to K20 frames as far as thickness of the rails, and how wide the flanges are. I'm gonna live with mine being a K10 and add 3/4 springs to the rear and 3/4 axles. Still I'd rather have the K20 since the higher GVWR back then doesn't require cat converters. That's a plus if you live in a state that requires emissions testing or might require emissions testing later on.

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
It doesn't look like I will be selling it, things have changed with my job and it looks like we might be staying here, so the roof can wait a month to get done, I wiill do that frame measuring for you, also here area few teaser pics of some of the stuff i have done to the exterior. I will take some more good ones tomorrow when she leaves the garage.

You must be registered for see images attach

and this is my favorite with both my blue chevy 3/4 ton 4x4's!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74