Multi-Function/wiper/cruise question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I did some searching and couldn't find this answer. Also, since I'm about 900 miles from my truck I can't just go look at it.

Here's my question. '86 Auto, tilt column.

Truck was built with cruise, std wipers.

Current steering column/switch is intermittent wipers, no cruise.

Can I just buy a new MFS with both cruise and int. wipers and install? Or do I have to install some other type of switch? Also, can wires be fed down through the column or does it have to be taken all apart?

I looked at the LMC catalog. Non cruise MFS has no wires, cruise MFS has some wires. So, does the wiper switch inside the column have to match the MFS for intermittent/non intermittent or is it all controlled by the module? I'm assuming the wires for the cruise will plug into a matching connector.

I'd like to have both cruise and intermittent wipers if possible.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You will need an intermittent wiper switch and module and I believe it is plug and play for that.

It will have to be taken apart to install everything. Since you're going to have the column apart to fish the cruise wires down it - it's hard to do with the column assembled - you can go ahead and install the switch and module.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Current steering column/switch is intermittent wipers, no cruise.

All the cruise control switch components are contained within that big fat bulb on the end of the stalk. The leads (4) from the control switch to the main harness are all contained in that cable with the weird looking connection on the end - see the image below. There is no need to change the current MFS.

To re-activate the CC: just yank the non-cruise stalk out of the MFS, fish that coax type cable down between the column and the outer casing and pop the cruise equipped stalk into the existing socket. No wiring associated with the cruise control passes through the MFS - it just passes by it.

After you have fished the wire from the CC switch down and out of the bottom of the steering column... just find the female side of the connection and plug it in.

If everything else is in order, you should be good to go.

Also, the pulse wiper upgrade is just as easy as RC10S suggests.

If the currently installed MFS is set up for intermittent wipers you only need to pick up a pulse module. Disconnect the wiper wiring coupler (it is behind the lower steering column cover) and insert the module between the connector halves. The wiring is the same for pulse as non-pulse. They just use the one spare lead and stick a module in-line.

Attachments

• 41923158.jpg
    41923158.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Thanks guys. I'm glad that the PO column swap made the upgrade the "easy" way rather than having to dig into the column to change the wiper switch.

okiedater

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Great...I need one of those 'pulse modules' (maybe known as wiper/washer control module or wiper pulse module) for my 83 C10. The 83 has the wiper switch on the dash low and to the left of the steering wheel. The switch plugs into the module and the module connects with the wiper/washer. Does anyone know where one of these modules can be found?

sposey7

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I installed a new MFS in my 87 Silverado this morning. I used 22 gauge floral wire to fish the connector thru the column. To make it easier, I removed the lower plastic and metal covers on the dash.

The wire stays rigid and is thin enough to bend while not getting hung up.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man