Wiper Park Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldspwr

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am looking for some help with a wiper issue on my Brothers stepside squarebody we are restoring. The cab, wiper motor, steering column, turn signal switch, etc. is from a 1985 GMC K30. So it has the external windshield washer pump. The original motor was badly rusted so I purchased a new WAI motor from Amazon. The wipers park fine, but when they restart, they go down a bit before going back up. In fact if the wipers are parked in the correct position, they go down on the painted cowl piece before going back up. So my first thought was that the wiper linkage was installed incorrectly. So we flipped the linkage and then the wipers parked in the top of the windshield instead if the bottom. We also added a separate ground wire to the brass strap on the motor to make sure it was grounded correctly. It does have the intermittent (delay) box under the dash, and the delay seems to work. I did remove delay box and plugged the two connectors together and we still have the same issue.

So we bought a new motor from Napa, and it does the same thing. Then we bought a Cardone from Rock Auto and that does the same thing. When we set the new motors side by side, it seems the park positions are all a little different. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9586.jpg
    IMG_9586.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 51

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I believe the spring loaded set screw adjusts the park slightly. Otherwise you'll have to pull the wiper arms, make sure the motor is at its farthest resting point and install the arms. It may take a couple try's. How far do they travel at the top?

oldspwr

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I believe the spring loaded screw is to adjust to motor lash, and the park position is determined by the large gear wheel and where the stops align with the park switch.

I had to remove the wipers to prevent the fresh paint from getting damaged. So I put a wire tie on the wiper post to simulate a wiper blade. The problem is at their resting point, or park position, when the restart, they go down several about 2" before going back up. Its like the linkage is not on the correct position on the shaft of the wiper motor. It only goes on 2 ways, and if you're 180 degree off the wipers will park on top.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
could be the linkage is worn?

oldspwr

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No, there is now play in the linkage. All of the ball and sockets connections were cleaned, re-greased and are not loose by any means.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You never said what year the truck is.

oldspwr

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did, I mentioned that that the cab, wiper motor, steering column, turn signal switch, etc. is from a 1985 GMC K30.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I just replaced mine with a wai and it works fine. With all those motors and it still acts the same there's gotta be something else wrong. The wiper blades should be parallel with the seal, not almost touching the seal, that should give you the two inches. But mine doesn't do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod