More WV Squarebodies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My cousin had a K20 just like it, color-wise. I really liked that truck, but he traded it in for a new Silverado and a nice fat monthly payment. I would have kept it.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks for all the kind words fellas! Shes not hard to keep clean cause I'm slowly but surely removing all that remains of the shiny paint and replacing it with satin black over flat grey. It looks just as good but is much much easier to keep up. And if I scratch it, I can patch it out of a spray can. Burb, it did make the engine swap easy, and it allowed me to get at the inner fender/firewall and repair the rust through of the cowl and paint everything up nice. If I ever had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing. Some slightly newer pics for ya'll
You must be registered for see images

By null at 2010-10-02

By null at 2010-10-02

By null at 2010-10-02

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, its a nice truck. No doubt. What interior color does it have???

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Red interior, but the dash pad is cracked to hell so I covered it with a pad from LMC in tan. I figured it would keep the interior a little bit cooler come summer time.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Some more updates to the interior. Added the Grant wheel, repainted the dash bezel in black and silver. And the white face gauges, with shift indiicator. Now I need to get my Autogage tach replaced with the white face variant so it'll match. Sigh, it never ends.....

Shot at 2011-04-24

Shot at 2011-04-24

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice Speedo Cheat Sheet you have hanging there.
What caused the speedo to be off? Tires, Gear Change, Trans Change or what??? FIX IT !!! Make it right. You should be able to get it within 5% which is 5mph off at 100, or 2 1/2 miles off at 50 mph.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn I need those white guage faces, so much easire to see for tired eyes of mine at night. And a red LED backlighting, hell yeah.

That speed chart thing is crazy, usually you are 5 mph or whatever off of the guage reading, but your's changes with speed? I don't get it. I took a handheld Garmin GPS to clock my truck and it was 5 mph too slow on the guage at all speeds, so I pulled the needle off tha guage and moved it 5 mph and stuck it back on and I have been on the money since, and I check it all the time on our local speed warning digital sign crap thingy's and it's right on.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn I need those white guage faces, so much easire to see for tired eyes of mine at night. And a red LED backlighting, hell yeah.

That speed chart thing is crazy, usually you are 5 mph or whatever off of the guage reading, but your's changes with speed? I don't get it. I took a handheld Garmin GPS to clock my truck and it was 5 mph too slow on the guage at all speeds, so I pulled the needle off tha guage and moved it 5 mph and stuck it back on and I have been on the money since, and I check it all the time on our local speed warning digital sign crap thingy's and it's right on.

You thnk so too 89?? I am hoping white will help my night vision too.

When he gets back in here, we'll see about getting that speedo/odo corrected. Its a matter of taking the tailshaft off the trans, and changing either the speedo driver gear, or driven gear, or maybe even both. Differant color gears have differant amount of teeth on them and with the right combination he can get that speedo alot closer by changing the speedo gears. I don't recommend using one of those aftermarket speedo calibration adapters. They usually wear out farily quick like within a year of say 15,000 miles it seems like, So best to just change the OEM gear combo.

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Welcome from N. East Texas. :wave:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You thnk so too 89?? I am hoping white will help my night vision too.
:waytogo:

When he gets back in here, we'll see about getting that speedo/odo corrected. Its a matter of taking the tailshaft off the trans, and changing either the speedo driver gear, or driven gear, or maybe even both. Differant color gears have differant amount of teeth on them and with the right combination he can get that speedo alot closer by changing the speedo gears. I don't recommend using one of those aftermarket speedo calibration adapters. They usually wear out farily quick like within a year of say 15,000 miles it seems like, So best to just change the OEM gear combo.
Or move the needle. :Moon:

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I like the move the needle idea, but am open to doing it the right way also. The truck has had a trans change AND a tire change. It may also have had axles swapped on it, but that i tend to doubt (Why in hell would you swap IN a pair of GM 10 bolts?) The speedo error cheat sheet came from an online calculator site whose origin I can't recall. And to add to the fun, I got pulled over by the Frederick Co. fuzz yesterday evening while enjoying my new gauges :p Believe it or not he was taken enough with the truck that he let me go with a "failure to obey a highway sign" slap of the wrist. Which ain't bad considering he clocked me at 60 in a 45. I was showing 50 on the speedo at the time. The new gauges are Waaaayyyyyy easier to see, both day and night, even with a third of the sockets non-functional. White LEDS all around for me

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like the move the needle idea, but am open to doing it the right way also. The truck has had a trans change AND a tire change. It may also have had axles swapped on it, but that i tend to doubt (Why in hell would you swap IN a pair of GM 10 bolts?) The speedo error cheat sheet came from an online calculator site whose origin I can't recall. And to add to the fun, I got pulled over by the Frederick Co. fuzz yesterday evening while enjoying my new gauges :p Believe it or not he was taken enough with the truck that he let me go with a "failure to obey a highway sign" slap of the wrist. Which ain't bad considering he clocked me at 60 in a 45. I was showing 50 on the speedo at the time. The new gauges are Waaaayyyyyy easier to see, both day and night, even with a third of the sockets non-functional. White LEDS all around for me

hahaha, well you still got a ticket, but still got a break. That's cool.

If you wanna, let me know your Tire Size, Gear Ratio, and Trans Model, I'll try to look up some plastic gears both driver and driven, and let you know what combination you need to get it right. I'll see if I can dig up the info.

I'm not for moving the needle at all. Its not accurate. You can get closer, or not off as far, but nevertheless its not accurate at all other then the place you set it to be right.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dude, the trick to the needle thing is to know exactly how far off you are. Then when you pull the guage out of the cluster you have to hold the spinner on the back of the guage and pick a number on the face, like the 10 mph mark. Turn the spinner on the back until the needle points spot on htat number then hold it tight. The most important thing is to hold that rear spinner cup in that one postion and not to let it move while you wiggle off the needle and stick it back on pointing at 20 mph. This is kinda a pain in the ass but if you do it right it will work perfect. And be careful because some of those older needles are pretty brittle. Just grab the hub of the needle and tilt wiggle it back and forth with 2 fingers uintil it wiggles off.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
But when the speeds are exponentially wrong, i.e. 2 mph at 30mph, 5 mph at 55 mph, 10 at 70, he would best benefit from getting the right gears for his speedo.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Tires are 33-12.50-15 Gears are 3.08s front and rear Trans is a TH400 Transfer case is an NP203 I would really rather do it the right way and never have to worry about it again. The PO did so many half ass things to this truck that have bit me in the ass already. I'm with Mike Holmes: "Do it Right!" No offense Burb, if it weren't so far off i probably would just move the needle. At least my cheat sheet got a laugh out of the guy who pulled me over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10