More Tire, Less Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just brainstorming here, feel free to comment.

My 4x4 Burb currently has a 4 inch lift and the equivalent to 33's. I haven't rotated tires in close to 40K, so the front tires only have about 25% tread remaining, while the rears are about 90% remaining. I've been thinking it will be time to replace the tires before winter. I'm very happy with the suspension setup and have no desire to change it (other than maybe crossover steering).

The rust is also getting out of hand on the Burb. Both fenders are rotting out on the backside and the rear portion of the left fender is basically just flopping around. The rear wheel arches are rotting out and the inner wheel houses are swiss cheese. I do not want to go to the trouble of changing fenders and welding in new quarters, especially since nobody makes the replacement wheel housings.

I'm thinking this Burb is a perfect candidate for a set of Bushwacker cutout flares. This will remove a lot of rotted metal and provide more tire clearance so I can keep the current suspension setup. I'm thinking a 16x12 wheel with a tire in the 37-38 inch range. I think cutout flares look goofy without a wide tire/wheel combo, also wide tires will help keep the plastic flares from getting busted on small trees and stuff.

What concerns me is my current crappy 3.73 gears and a 700r4 tranny. Currently, we drive around in 3rd gear and only use OD while on the highway and it works OK. I'm worried bigger tires will lug it down too much. Maybe it would still work OK, I dunno. I could regear to 4.88's or 5.13's but I've never done gear setup before... but there's a first time for everything.

At any rate, I need to keep the truck street friendly (ish) which means a radial type tire. I also need to tow the occasional car with it. Long trips on the highway and most towing duty will still be handled by the 454 2wd Burb.

Any comments are welcome, and for those who can't keep my trucks straight, it's this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How often is it on the highway? A Th350 swap would be alot cheaper. It'lll hold up with a good auxillary cooler. You'll lose that lower first gear, but you'll also lose the dreaded wide ratio between 1st and 2nd too, so once you're rolling, you're good to romp on it an go.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
that hood looks bad ass!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would go with 35s, the happy medium! :waytogo:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'd go with exactly what you said it sounds freakin awesome to me.

I could not agree more, bushwacker cut outs without wide tires is aweful looking, cutting out alot of rust is always a good thing. 37-38's is just awesome.

I would regear tho for sure, at least to 4.56 or something. gear swap aint bad, you can buy a dial indicator for like $25 on amazon and that will help you set it up, it will make the backlash perfect that's for sure. Not much help on pinion depth but that's when the tooth marking compound and such comes in to check where your pattern is at on the teeth.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How often is it on the highway? A Th350 swap would be alot cheaper. It'lll hold up with a good auxillary cooler. You'll lose that lower first gear, but you'll also lose the dreaded wide ratio between 1st and 2nd too, so once you're rolling, you're good to romp on it an go.

I'd rather leave the 700R4 in there until it dies, it's had a healthy rebuild on it and I think there's still a ton of life left in it. It will probably live until the motor gets swapped out for a 383 or 454. I have a complete th400/np205 setup and they have been gone through, but it would be overkill for how I use the Burb. I'd like to save that setup for the crew cab or a future K5 trail rig.

I'd go with exactly what you said it sounds freakin awesome to me.

I could not agree more, bushwacker cut outs without wide tires is aweful looking, cutting out alot of rust is always a good thing. 37-38's is just awesome.

I would regear tho for sure, at least to 4.56 or something. gear swap aint bad, you can buy a dial indicator for like $25 on amazon and that will help you set it up, it will make the backlash perfect that's for sure. Not much help on pinion depth but that's when the tooth marking compound and such comes in to check where your pattern is at on the teeth.

Yeah, something in the '37-'38 range is needed because they can be found in wider sizes. I don't think there's any wide 35's anymore.

I have a nice dial indicator too, I've never used it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd rather leave the 700R4 in there until it dies, it's had a healthy rebuild on it and I think there's still a ton of life left in it. It will probably live until the motor gets swapped out for a 383 or 454. I have a complete th400/np205 setup and they have been gone through, but it would be overkill for how I use the Burb. I'd like to save that setup for the crew cab or a future K5 trail rig.

Yeah, something in the '37-'38 range is needed because they can be found in wider sizes. I don't think there's any wide 35's anymore.

I have a nice dial indicator too, I've never used it.

Go ahead, put them 37-38's on it. You'll have no problem killing the 700r4. Kill it !!! :High 5:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I see 35's and 36's on craigslist and such in 14 and 15 inch wide.

I'd run taller anyways though it'd help fill out the tire wells.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wish I could find some other 36in tall. I wouldnt even care if they were 12.50 wide. I'd put these 36x14.50's in the back and 12.50 in the front. But, maybe I'll get some cool parts for them. I don't really want to run these. I will cuz they are here, but I'd prefer 35x12.50's.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What about the inner wells? You gonna patch them like I did? This would be a great opportunity for the rear wheel well modification mod.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2112

Yep, I'd patch it up just like you did. It wouldn't need to be pretty, just keep the mud/water from going up into behind the quarters. With the cutout flares, the wheel opening actually gets cut open to a larger size, then the flare covers up the ugly.

The first one would probably work well, but I kind of need to stick with a 16" since they tend to be a little heavier duty for towing.

As for the Bogger... Hell yeah that would be cool, but the Burb sees 90% street duty and my wife has to drive the kids around town in it, lol. Otherwise I'd just get two more to match the pair of good ones I got from you and just run those.

I'd run taller anyways though it'd help fill out the tire wells.

Exactly. I'm worried a 35" might look too small with a 4 inch and cutouts. Maybe not though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising