Lowering a '73 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wannabe

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am wondering what others have used spec specific for drop spindles and lowering springs. I flipped the rear and it is right where I want it. I went against advice here and cut 2 coils off the front springs. The suspension now bottoms out. I'm posting a picture of the truck and I'd like to know what others have used. I am thinking 3" drop spindles and 3" lowering springs. I like the stance I have but it is not being driven much due to bottoming out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
6"? That's a lot.

I would go with the largesst drop in spindle you can find and make up the rest in spring. If you're running a 15" wheel anything over 2.5" might rub the lower control arm.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am wondering what others have used spec specific for drop spindles and lowering springs. I flipped the rear and it is right where I want it. I went against advice here and cut 2 coils off the front springs. The suspension now bottoms out. I'm posting a picture of the truck and I'd like to know what others have used. I am thinking 3" drop spindles and 3" lowering springs. I like the stance I have but it is not being driven much due to bottoming out.
You must be registered for see images attach
Are the tires bottoming, or is the suspension bottoming out? If you took a couple coils out, you effectively removed a ton of suspension travel.

That’s where lowering spindles come in. They raise the wheel up without affecting the travel. Then you get a lowering spring and the combination of the two is what brings the vehicle down.

But definitely read through that sticky that Bluex put up- there’s a bunch of good information there.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
If your keeping the 15" wheels do a 2.5" spindle an the 3" spring. The amount of clearance needed for a 3" spindle an a 15" wheel isn't worth the work for the extra 1/2".

My guess is your just scrubbing the inners as you took away a good bit of the spring rate with that much cut out. Going to the spindle/spring drop should pretty much get rid of that, as long as the shocks are decent.

Wannabe

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are the tires bottoming, or is the suspension bottoming out? If you took a couple coils out, you effectively removed a ton of suspension travel.

That’s where lowering spindles come in. They raise the wheel up without affecting the travel. Then you get a lowering spring and the combination of the two is what brings the vehicle down.

But definitely read through that sticky that Bluex put up- there’s a bunch of good information there.
I'm NOT trying to upset you but I already know all you stated and you are right. All I want to know is will the 3" drop spindles and 3" lowering springs will get me where it is correctly or will it lower it too much. BTW, it is the suspension hitting the snubbers. Please don't think I am a know-it-all because I am far from that. I will check the sticky, thanks.

Wannabe

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your keeping the 15" wheels do a 2.5" spindle an the 3" spring. The amount of clearance needed for a 3" spindle an a 15" wheel isn't worth the work for the extra 1/2".

My guess is your just scrubbing the inners as you took away a good bit of the spring rate with that much cut out. Going to the spindle/spring drop should pretty much get rid of that, as long as the shocks are decent.
Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. I built the truck to flip but I can't let it go like it is.

Wannabe

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I read the sticky and it cleared up all my questions along with all of you that made suggestions. 2.5 spindles a 3" springs will be what I use. Thanks to all who helped.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm NOT trying to upset you but I already know all you stated and you are right. All I want to know is will the 3" drop spindles and 3" lowering springs will get me where it is correctly or will it lower it too much. BTW, it is the suspension hitting the snubbers. Please don't think I am a know-it-all because I am far from that. I will check the sticky, thanks.
Oh, not upset at all. Carry on and good luck with the project- looks good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef