Springs or Spindles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennedyHill

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I am in the process of rebuilding a ‘87 squarebody. I want to lower the suspension 3” in the front and 5” in the rear and I have never lowered a suspension. I am on a budget, so…

What is best?
1. 3” drop spindles with stock springs
2. 3” drop springs with stock spindles

This is not my truck, but the stance I’m looking for.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpeg
    IMG_0883.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 36

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'm of the opinion that drop spindles are the better way, because it retains the rest of the capacity and geometry of stock.

Short or weak springs seems reckless at best. I could be wrong.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Spindles for sure, you'll never get it aligned with 3" springs. Or do a combo of spindles and trimming your stock springs. 1 coil = ~2" of drop so you could do 2.5" spindles and a half a coil or so. Also, I've always heard the 3" spindles kill the turning radius. No personal experience, but heard that from many people.

I have McGaughy's 2.5" spindles, stock half ton springs trimmed till I was happy and a flip kit with a 2" shackle in the back to put me roughly 5/8. I probably cut close to 2 coils on mine and I can't quite get it to align. It's not bad enough to justify buying tubular arms and whatnot but my front tires only lasted about 25k miles.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe