Looking for info ? Cooling system !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is your water pump serpentine? I think its pretty universal counter clockwise on serpentine.. iirc.. v is typically clockwise. I MAY BE BACKWARD

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I’d like to know this, too, but if I had to guess, I’d say it came with a TH400, and that big boy needed the extra cooling. Whatever that entails... Mine w/a 700R4 doesn’t have this nor would I ever expect it to.
Although the 700r4 needs it way more than the Th400 does. The Th400 can tolerate it's abuse, but the 700r4 can't. Always need to add an aux cooler to a 700r4. Other than going lower gears, an aux cooler is the best thing you can do to help a 700r4 survive.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Many pardons please. VO2 is in fact a "HD Rad/Trans Cooler" I miss read it. Also my truck has both a serpentine, and a v belt, what can I determine about fan rotation ? I always assumed that engine rotation was based on looking from the drivers seat looking forward. As on a ship, everything is seen from the stern. So your right is always the starboard side and your left is always port side. So my Blazers engine rotation is counterclockwise ? Clockwise if looking at the engine from the front bumper ? Thank you !

You must be registered for see images attach

That was the original OEM colors of my K5. Doeskin Tan with Apple Red through the center. It sure don't look that way now after it was rattle canned.

WarlVlachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I took my 700r4 out it for sure had the auxiliary lines going to the radiator. I can check my codes later and see if I have it on there. It would make more sense then.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 76 with a 400 and TH350, probably didn't come with the trans cooler originally, but my radiator was installed new in 1981 with the current engine. I had to have them resize the top hose neck when I had it rebuilt last year, the old hose was pinched and double clamped for decades.

The lack of trans cooler in the original would explain why this is the truck's 4th transmission. That and regularly hauling 10,000 lbs of hogs.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
... Also my truck has both a serpentine, and a v belt....

I’m 99% sure the engines with the multi groove and V belt combination are standard rotation - double check me before buying parts! This set up is NOT a “serpentine system” like those commonly referenced.

It depends on how hardcore you want to go but there are very heavy duty fan set ups for standard rotation engines but you’ll notice much more fan noise and the clutch does create more parasitic drag (I doubt you’ll notice a difference in the performance of the truck).

Here’s your recipe for a standard rotation engine:
• 6.2 diesel radiator
• 7 blade fan
• fan clutch for ‘83 K30 with 454 AND 4.56 gears (the gear ratio makes the difference, if the part isn’t specific to the ratio it’s not right).

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Many pardons please. VO2 is in fact a "HD Rad/Trans Cooler" I miss read it. Also my truck has both a serpentine, and a v belt, what can I determine about fan rotation ? I always assumed that engine rotation was based on looking from the drivers seat looking forward. As on a ship, everything is seen from the stern. So your right is always the starboard side and your left is always port side. So my Blazers engine rotation is counterclockwise ? Clockwise if looking at the engine from the front bumper ? Thank you !

Was your Blazer featured in one of the LMC catalogs ?

Nice looking rig ! :waytogo:

diesel_lv

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Start the engine, if it turns counterclockwise from the driver seat, it standard rotation. If clockwise from driver seat, reverse rotation.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
multi belt systems tend to turn the belt the same direction as the crank. This is “standard” rotation.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm not sure what specifically the V02 code relates to, but my 1980 K25 has a 350/TH400/NP205 and came originally with a 4-row radiator and transmission cooler in the radiator. It also had a pretty dinky 5-blade radiator fan. I did not have a V02 RPO code.

clendon1

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
468 BB
If you go for a fan clutch I would recommend the GM model for the 454, I replaced mine with a Hayden HD unit and the engine temp went up 10 degrees with a GM 7 blade fan, put back the original and back to normal temp, maybe clutch was defective ?

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
Was your Blazer featured in one of the LMC catalogs ?

Nice looking rig ! :waytogo:

Yes it was. But both the LMC picture and this picture is off in color of the "Doeskin beige" the real color of the code 61 is somewhat light than this pic and is more pale in warmth. Back when I started this project the truck was . . .

Lets just say the only thing left it the original grill, and the side badges. And I replaced the grill sections too. Oh, the door handles and the mirrors. Everything else it either new or NOS. I have a bunch of "Shop Pics" But I only get slightly unwell looking back at the old truck and the money, pain and sweat equity I have out into it to her here. And I have a serpentine belt on the water pump, alternator and crankshaft, and a 'V' belt to the Crank and A/C. I really got lucky when I bought both this truck and my 90 Silverado. The 90 came from about 175 miles to the west of me in Pennsylvania "They don't put down road salt" so no rust on it, and this beauty, the love of my life, came from Odessa, TX. The only salt she has ever seen was put on the Barbecue they had for dinner. This pic is a better look at the color of the tan paint, it' really not tan, but beige. The original paint combo was 61/67 gold.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yes it was. But both the LMC picture and this picture is off in color of the "Doeskin beige" the real color of the code 61 is somewhat light than this pic and is more pale in warmth. Back when I started this project the truck was . . .

Lets just say the only thing left it the original grill, and the side badges. And I replaced the grill sections too. Oh, the door handles and the mirrors. Everything else it either new or NOS. I have a bunch of "Shop Pics" But I only get slightly unwell looking back at the old truck and the money, pain and sweat equity I have out into it to her here. And I have a serpentine belt on the water pump, alternator and crankshaft, and a 'V' belt to the Crank and A/C. I really got lucky when I bought both this truck and my 90 Silverado. The 90 came from about 175 miles to the west of me in Pennsylvania "They don't put down road salt" so no rust on it, and this beauty, the love of my life, came from Odessa, TX. The only salt she has ever seen was put on the Barbecue they had for dinner. This pic is a better look at the color of the tan paint, it' really not tan, but beige. The original paint combo was 61/67 gold.

That new pic makes it look more of a cream color. Funny how cameras don't always catch the colors you see.

That original color scheme is one I am not sure I have seen before, but I like your new colors, and had no idea the other work and mods .

You have a lot of labor and dollars tied up, but you could not buy a new one (at all like that :D) for that price, so enjoy your work !

Thanks for sharing!:)

Britt

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
Thank you, Yeah I got a lot of time, money and hard work in her. But she's a real Texas owned and homed truck, (No Rust). I'm a big one on originality, and this ones got it. She wasn't jacked up and huge tires put on her, solid steel frame and it wasn't abused. Their only original once. once I bought her and decided on the job, I happened to find a original 1988 Sales brochure on eBay and right on the cover was a beige with red sides K5 Blazer 61/72 paint codes. I decided it was going to be just like that, and I don't know how many wore that paint combination but there's one more today. It's been a good project and well worth all my efforts. I added a 1/8" pale blue pinstripe just so I'd know it was mine. Good truck, good truck ! Thank you !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512