looking for a small lift for a 1978 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThSlug

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I currently have a 1978 K20 with a 4 inch lift, blocks in back. The blocks are rusting and the bushings are shot. The whole thing rides really rough and it's just a tad too tall for me.

So, I'm looking for new springs. I primarily run to the hardware store, but also haul a trailer and a lot of firewood. I also do a little off-roading from time to time. I'm hoping the new springs will:

1) Give a softer ride
2) Give a lower ride, closer to stock height, but a little lift is ok
3) Keep a positive arch (not the negative arch in the stock front springs)
4) Accommodate up to 33" tires (currently on the truck)
5) Keep my 3/4 ton capacity

So, I've turned my attention to the Tuff Country 2" 3/4 ton all spring kit. However, as far as I can tell, the kit uses 1/2 ton rear springs. Does anyone have thoughts on this kit? How is the ride? Have you towed with it? Does the rear hold up?

Thanks in advance.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I can kinda answer... I bought the Tuff Country 2" HD front springs. They raised the truck 3.5" for me. I called and talked to them about it and they said it lifted it that much because 1) my stock springs were worn out and 2) the HD springs lift height was for if you have a big block engine, a diesel engine, or something like a heavy winch bumper.

For the rear of the truck I put in a 3" block and it sat level. Now after a few years of using the truck the front settled a bit. Maybe .5"-.75"

When I put on the front springs I used ORD's greasable bushings and their HD shackles. At first I thought it rode rough then I removed the sway bar. Rides great. And I can still haul heavy loads.

I was concerned about weight capacity on the rear springs and so I kept the stock ones. Instead of blocks you can do the shackle flip and go for the smallest one. I'd say make sure you buy the HD rear shackles to handle the weight/stress.

You must be registered for see images attach

Running 285/75R16 (33") tires on 16x8" steel wheels.

ThSlug

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks. That's a huge help. Sounds like I will have to deal with a bigger lift if I want HD springs.
Good to know about the sway bar. I will give it a shot. That's a lot cheaper than buying a lift kit!

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a Skyjacker 2 1/2 inch all spring lift. I don't think it rides all that rough. I'm also running 33 inch tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019