whats the trick for better ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so does anybody want to talk about 4link?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
4 links would work, 3 links would work just as well and be easier, K5 springs would work 95% as well and be easiest.

Last edited:

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
easy is never a bad thing... being able to use k5 springs would also help a ton

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Sorry this will be a little long, but good info.

I recently got rid of my '79 GMC K15. It had an old Rancho 4" lift when I got it and it rode like total sh*t. When I did the 3/4 ton axle swap, I switched to Tuff Country 4" EZ ride front springs and their 8000 series shocks. Out back, I got rid if the add a leaf and used a 4" block. I also added ORD's greaseable front shackles and their sway bar disconnect. For a leaf spring truck of it's age, it rode pretty good. The softest of my square body trucks. I think one the the biggest help for the front ride on our trucks is the sway bar disconnect. It allows the front sway bar to work independent of the axle like most passenger cars. I found that the swap bar attachment point on GM lifted truck creates a binding point for the suspension. I discovered this when I tried to add a sway bar drop bracket on the below mentioned K5. When I tried to level the sway bar, I could not get things to line up unless I forced the springs to move. I then realized the springs and sway bar were working off different arcs.

I've also used a Sky Jacker 6" soft ride on a '77 K5 with their brand hydrualic shocks (circa 1991). It had a 3/4 ton axle swap on that too with 36" Dick Cepek radials. That was a full spring truck, but I felt it was a little bouncy. That could have been due to the springs, short wheel base or the 36" radials. The other truck I lifted was an '87 GMC K20. It was a 4" Rancho soft ride (circa 1989) with their brando shocks. I don't recall of that had gas shocks or not. If was a quad shock set up in front. I had a 2 " add a leaf in back with a 2" block. That truck rode like sh*t too.

On my '85 K30 I'm going to run a 4" Tuff Country HD lift due to the 454 and rear 4" blocks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
easy is never a bad thing... being able to use k5 springs would also help a ton

DIY 4x4, and others have kits, the DIY4x4 one is pretty damn straight forward to do, it's like fabwork 101 lol.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I hear good things about EZ rides but then the other 50% say BDS... anyone ever tried both

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry this will be a little long, but good info.

no that's awesome... definitely helps me out as this is my first and have no idea which way to go, so thank you

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I hear good things about EZ rides but then the other 50% say BDS... anyone ever tried both
I dont know what the spring rates of the BDS are, but the ez rates were the lowest I could find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115