whats the trick for better ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
so I have a 74 k10. i bought it with the current lift on now, pretty sure its a 4in lift with 33s. the shocks were gone, so i replaced them with some nice BDS shocks, but what now. is there anything i can do to make this ride better? i just use it to drive to and from work for now but that's partially because itll bounce you out the window if i go any further lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
so I have a 74 k10. i bought it with the current lift on now, pretty sure its a 4in lift with 33s. the shocks were gone, so i replaced them with some nice BDS shocks, but what now. is there anything i can do to make this ride better? i just use it to drive to and from work for now but that's partially because itll bounce you out the window if i go any further lol
Pretty much nature of the beast. There are company's that make "soft ride" lift springs can't think of which one at the moment.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
that's what I was kinda afraid of lol... but definitely going to look into the springs

kenny78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer(2) k30&k20
Engine Size
Tuff country springs ez rides for premade.
Deaver or others for custom$$$

I don't have personal experience with either. I plan to replace the (likely) rough country 4" springs with tuff's as the current ones ride like an empty medium duty trick without an air seat.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

Pretty much nature of the beast. There are company's that make "soft ride" lift springs can't think of which one at the moment.

Yeah, a 44 year old 4x4 truck isn't really the best idea if you're concerned about ride quality at all. Like what's mentioned in the other posts, there are a few options to mitigate the harshness, but at the end of the day, you're still driving a solid axle truck with leaf springs.

UH60Pilot

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
6.0L
I bought my 78 K10 with 4" BDS springs already installed and it rode very rough. my head would hit the ceiling on some bumps. I switched to 6"lift Tuff Country EZ rides, and it is alot smoother. Still bouncy, but I still have the ****** old shocks. Plan to put Bilsteins on soon. I did a 4" shackle flip in the rear and a 2 inch lift spring. Less spring arch for smoother ride. I also removed the front sway bar to smooth things out.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Throw three hundred pounds worth of sandbags in the bed up close to the cab. It'll ride like a Cadillac. The longer 56" 3/4 ton rear springs help them ride a little better out back too. If it has a rear block you could do a shackle flip and 56" springs and help the back. The front is tough, gotta have quality lift springs. Things like tough country dont ride well. You could spend a lot on it though and only gain a little comfort. Or haul a few hundred pounds in the bed with you all the time.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Throw three hundred pounds worth of sandbags in the bed up close to the cab. It'll ride like a Cadillac. The longer 56" 3/4 ton rear springs help them ride a little better out back too. If it has a rear block you could do a shackle flip and 56" springs and help the back. The front is tough, gotta have quality lift springs. Things like tough country dont ride well. You could spend a lot on it though and only gain a little comfort. Or haul a few hundred pounds in the bed with you all the time.
Rough country's 6" fronts with a big block actually have some give to them unlike with a small block and no swaybar keeps the right and left from fighting like little children.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
For my truck, I went with a 4" EZ Ride springs in the front, 4" shackle flip in the rear. Rancho RS9000XL shocks for the adjustability.

Opted for the greasable bolts and that made a huge difference.

The truck rode like a brick without any suspension before, now she's actually pretty comfy to drive around. With a load in the bed makes her smoother than a cadillac!

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
WOW! definitely a lot of ideas here... sounds like if im going to do it, this would be the time to go a little higher with her. I know, I know, itll ride worse but im thinking around 8in lift. how high of a lift can you go before you have to start changing brake lines and drive shafts ect....

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Based on the ride of my 8" lift on my 86 K20 and my 4" on my 82 K20, really hate the 8" lift. 4 or 6 inch tuff country EZ-ride are the smoothest ride I've got yet out of a square. Have to load a good 500lbs near the cab to even think of not breaking the springs in my seat when hitting a bump in my 86.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
that's good to know... Im back and forth anyway because as of right now I have an inch before it wont fit into the garage... and its nice getting into a garaged truck in the winter time

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
WOW! definitely a lot of ideas here... sounds like if im going to do it, this would be the time to go a little higher with her. I know, I know, itll ride worse but im thinking around 8in lift. how high of a lift can you go before you have to start changing brake lines and drive shafts ect....

4in is pretty much the max before you really have to start changing a lot of things.

At 6in, you're looking at driveshafts, steering components, and brake lines.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
perfect, that answers that haha... now were back to nice springs lol

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
A set of 52' rear springs up front, will give you roughly 4" of lift, and combined with longer shocks, a very plush ride

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20