lifted 6" k10...best shocks for smoother ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
with a 6" lift the harsh ride is caused by the springs not the shocks. highdesertranger

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
1. It's my daily driver. I can't take it out recreational mudding every weekend and not tear something up.

2. I take pride in my vehicles and spend lots of money on them. Too much to swamp them out.

3. Truck was lifted when I bought it.

4. When you build an engine like this you really don't want mud in every nook and cranny and drying on your shiny headers.

Just some of the reasons.

You must be registered for see images attach

IMO, if it matters, 6in lift is for at the bare minimum of 35in tires and really should be 37 or 38's. If you want a smoother ride, I'd go back to factory springs and get rid of the lift and your 33's should be just fine with OEM height. The ride quality will be dramatically increased with OEM springs. I'm sure you can find someone near you that would want to swap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
with a 6" lift the harsh ride is caused by the springs not the shocks. highdesertranger

Exactly. Shocks aren't going to help much no matter how much you spend or even if you double or triple your shocks. You're just sitting on stiff lift springs is the problem. The main purpose of a shock anyway, is NOT ride quality. Ride quality is secondary. Primary purpose of a shock is to hold the tire to the pavement so it doesn't dribble like a basketball. The bigger the tire, the more need for shock quality or multi shocks.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
For the shock length, a rough measurement of the eye-to-eye length at ride height works. But that number is meant to be the halfway point of the shock stroke.

The best way is to completely cycle your suspension, full compression and extension and take those numbers and find a shock that fits your profile. This will prevent bottoming out the shock or allowing it to hold up the weight of the axle.

That said, I love my Rancho 9000XL's on my truck. The quick adjust ability of the shock dampening definitely helps. Sometimes they may feel a little bit soft, but my guess is that my entire suspension cycles much easier than the factory leaf springs and dick cepek shocks that were on it before.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Bilsteins are one of the best out there. That is what I'm going to put on mine, when I get to that point. I was always told to measure eye, to eye and than add 2 inches for wheel travel. Being that you have sway bar disconnects, call the help line at Bilstein.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
here is how you measure shocks.
1. with the truck sitting on the ground measure eye to eye at the bolts. this gives you the static length.
2. measure he distance from the axle to the bump stop. subtract that from your static length. this will give you your minimum length.
3. jack the truck up and support the frame let the axle drop(hang) free. now measure eye to eye. this will give you your maximum length.
go buy a shock that is that at least matches your minimum and maximum. it's better to have play both ways at least an inch.
if you can't find a shock in your measurement range you need more work. either larger bump stops to cut down the minimum or limiting straps to cut down the maximum. highdesertranger

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nick, I have to say you have a very nice truck man!! I was reading your thread looking to make up my mind on size and brand of lift.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks man!

Latest posts

Forum statistics