lifted 6" k10...best shocks for smoother ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any input? Bilstiens, rancho....I want a smoother ride. I don't care about price.

Also, do you order shocks by the length from top to bottom as the truck sits? Or do you take that measurement and add to it to order. Thanks for any help looking to order the fronts tonight

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Btw...absolutely zero offroading in this truck

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Bilstein will be your best option but they are horribly expensive.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Wait what 6 inches of lift and no offroading I don't understand

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wait what 6 inches of lift and no offroading I don't understand

1. It's my daily driver. I can't take it out recreational mudding every weekend and not tear something up.

2. I take pride in my vehicles and spend lots of money on them. Too much to swamp them out.

3. Truck was lifted when I bought it.

4. When you build an engine like this you really don't want mud in every nook and cranny and drying on your shiny headers.

Just some of the reasons.

You must be registered for see images attach

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Offroad != Mud. You can a truck plenty of places off road and not do any damage or ruin it.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
^ its not all about mud but why build it if you don't use it! To each is own but I build things pretty but if its not used for a show car I use it for its intended purpose! Don't have to take it out all the time I understand about needing a vehicle

Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I lifted mine 6 inches so I can get back on some of the oilfield roads to go hunting. Hey when they have a skidder standing by and all the oilfield trucks have a pipe bumper with a hooking loop made out of welded steel, well you know you best have some good tires under your truck..

As far as lifting a truck for street driving, there are some advantages. You don't have idiots pulling out in front of you as much. You can see for some distance when you are sitting in traffic, in case you have to change lanes due to an accident. People usually give you some room in traffic.

There are also some disadvantages. These include increased stopping distances, being really difficult to park in those straight parking spaces that WM has, decreased visability- ie blindspots, having to get out while at the bank drive thru because the damn truck is so tall you can't reach the canister. Oh yeah you have to put up with the dipshit in a lowered Honda thinking how cool it would be to pull under your rear end while you are on a hill, in a fast food drive thru when you have a standard transmission.

Feel free to add to my limited observations. Oh yeah forget the parking garage too. Just say NO to that idea.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Nick my advice is to shop around for shocks. They can be ordered according to your lift size. Check the usual places summit, four wheel parts but also look at Arizona desert rat, Rocky mountain offroad- I think is still in business. I used to order parts from those guys as well as Fly N Hi too.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^ its not all about mud but why build it if you don't use it! To each is own but I build things pretty but if its not used for a show car I use it for its intended purpose! Don't have to take it out all the time I understand about needing a vehicle

Around here, there is no off-road with out mud.

Im not wanting to debate with you what I should do with my truck. I use it as a truck plenty. Can we please get back to the shock suggestions

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nick my advice is to shop around for shocks. They can be ordered according to your lift size. Check the usual places summit, four wheel parts but also look at Arizona desert rat, Rocky mountain offroad- I think is still in business. I used to order parts from those guys as well as Fly N Hi too.

Looking like the bilsteins. Thats the general consensus on the web

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I buried my 2001 silverado z71 LT to the frame once, the wrecker told me "boy you know its cheaper to tear up a 4 wheeler than a $40,000 dollar truck"

So ive learned a bit in the last 10 years

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I bought the Bilstein 5125's thru Offroad design. They claim to have special valving/dampening in them for the squares instead of just a generic one-size-fits all type thing. Feels the same as the 5100's that my Silverado has though. Thru Offroad design you can order by eye to eye length, or just by how much it is lifted.

To make the front ride nicer I'd look into allowing the sway bar to move and pivot. This makes a huge different on certain types of bumps.

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-suspension-sway-bar-link-chevy-gmc-blazer-jimmy-pickup-suburban/c5401

Without it when you hit a bump with both front tires you are trying to compress the sway bar- as it is now angled down towards your axle. Axle moves up, and the sway bar cannot rotate.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Already have those. Thanks for the tip on the website

Forum statistics