Leaking intake manifold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey all, FINALLY getting this taken care of. Tonight after work bought all the stuff I need. I pulled the air cleaner and carb off. Drained the coolant which needs changed anyway, moved all the vacuum hoses out of my way. then it got too dark and I had to call it for the night.

Quick question here. Pulling the dizzy always makes me a bit nervous. It looks to be an AC Delco HEI unit which is good. Pulled out the paint pen and I numbered my wires to the cap, marked the cap to the dizzy, marked the rotor to the dizzy, and marked the dizzy to the firewall. I'll also be taking some pictures with the cell phone before pulling it out. Just to be safe. Think that will cover everything?

Also since it started leaking I've been experiencing a harder time starting. Having to use more foot pumps and cranking before getting a good fire. Is it safe to assume this will be resolved with the new gasket set?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Also I found 25 ft lbs for torquing these back down. that sound right? cast heads and aluminum manifold.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks! here is hoping tomorrow goes smoothly.
Take your time and pay attention, you’ll be fine. I’ve also seen 30ft lbs as a torque spec. That was from Edelbrock for an aluminum intake and cast iron heads. Make sure your bolt threads are clean and also the bolt holes in the heads.

SoCal giant

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
74 or 75
Truck Model
C10 Long bed
Engine Size
if you are ever curious about which gasket and the like, i use the recommended parts button on the summit website. if you plug in your manifold it will have recommended parts. i.e. for me I ordered a weiand 8121 intake manifold and off the the side there is a list of parts such as the gaskets that fit your application.

You must be registered for see images attach

like others I recommend the fel-pro gasket and sealant of choice on the china wall. not to say that I'm a vast pit of knowledge, but I've read a lot about it and installed a few without any issue. the new permatex that is supposed to be great for most everything is the optimum line stuff like "permatex optimum grey"

You must be registered for see images attach

I was just going to recommend that optimum grey stuff. Not because I'm the vast pit of knowledge, but because I saw Freiburger use it on engine masters.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Fast foward to 9:45. Or watch the whole thing

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alrighty. I'm about waist deep into this thing. Have it all pulled apart and just spent the last hour or so scraping stuff clean. About ready to start going back on. Everything should go pretty smoothly. I did notice that my intake is a spread bore while the 1406 edelbrock carb is a square bore and there is not any kind of adapter between the two. It does seem to seal but should I look into getting an adapter plate for this?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Alrighty. I'm about waist deep into this thing. Have it all pulled apart and just spent the last hour or so scraping stuff clean. About ready to start going back on. Everything should go pretty smoothly. I did notice that my intake is a spread bore while the 1406 edelbrock carb is a square bore and there is not any kind of adapter between the two. It does seem to seal but should I look into getting an adapter plate for this?
Them things are supposed to be ok on eithe spreadbore or square. Clean bolts and clean holes are beneficial to correct torque and sealing.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep grabbed my tap and die set and used that to clean the holes and bolts before reassembling everything. Just to be on the safe side of things I have the wife grabbing an adapter. Figure a spacer would be nice as well as some peace of mind. And I needed a new carb gasket as well. So this will solve all of that.

Currently have everything back together except for the carb as I am waiting for that adapter thing. When I put the dizzy back in I ran into a strange problem and am hoping noting is fubar. The rotor did not line back up to where it was when I pulled it. It is one space farther in the firing order.. Nothing moved after I marked and pulled it this morning. I placed the wires back on where I had them marked and made sure to line the dizzy back up with my marks. Any ideas on this?

Should I get a long flat head and turn the oil pump to where it would align with my marks?
Leave as is? Plug my wires in one over?? I'm kinda lost on this part.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The oil drive could have moved a tad when removing or installing. If it were me, I'd pull it and move the oil drive a touch and re-install it to its original removal marks.
As far as having to pump the accelerator a few times, the pump in the carb may have the seals that are NOT compatible with ethanol 'contaminated' fuels. The bowl may also leaking thru the wells. I'm assuming you have a Q-Jet.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got it figured out! I ended up moving the plug wires on the dizzy one space clockwise (the same distance and direction the rotor moved) After doing this the truck was turning over like the timing was too advanced. Since my timing light went missing.. I ended up timing it by ear, ended up retarding the timing quite a bit but it now starts, and drives even better then before. Plus no oil leaks, and I am pretty sure I ended up fixing a rattle, and as well as a small intake and vacuum leak.

I attempted running the adapter/spacer piece but took it off because it was a cheap piece, made some strange noises when opening the 4 barrel up and it leaned out my carb a lot. Much better without one, on this motor at least.

Now I'm off to enjoy a MUCH needed few shots of vodka and beer to chase.. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice :favorites13:

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The oil drive could have moved a tad when removing or installing. If it were me, I'd pull it and move the oil drive a touch and re-install it to its original removal marks.
As far as having to pump the accelerator a few times, the pump in the carb may have the seals that are NOT compatible with ethanol 'contaminated' fuels. The bowl may also leaking thru the wells. I'm assuming you have a Q-Jet.

I will eventually do this to correct it. But I think for now the low tech fix has worked. It is an edelbrock 1406 but I have no idea how the PO tuned it. Before all the intake leak business it was starting with 2 foot pumps then jumped to 5. Currently its 1 so that is a huge improvement. I'm really not sure if a old and leaking intake gasket would cause this issue or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising