Leaking intake manifold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Are you talking basic black or Ultra Black? Because if you are talking about Ultra Black, I'm going to 100% disagree here. And I've got many years of zero comebacks and leak free personal vehicles that say otherwise. And I'm in no way saying you don't do a good job, but I've fixed a lot of things on customer vehicles that were screwed up by a dealer repair. Again, I'm not saying that you do shody work, I'm just saying that "the dealer does it this way or that" means very little to me. There are idiots that work at dealerships too.

My only relevant experience with silicone is Permatex. Overall, there's good and bed techs wherever you go, doesn't matter the shop name or the "rating" of the shop, a lot of the techs at my GM dealer sucked TBH and I feel that way about most stealerships. I'm a perfectionist to say the least, my 454 doesn't leak a drop of oil, not the intake gasket, not the valve covers, not the front cover, not the front or rear main seals, not the oil pan, and not the drain plug. I use grey silicone on most things, anaerobic on others, no black though lol. It's been my experience from using both basic black and ultra black, no matter how it's installed, when it dries it is too rigid and doesn't hold up to the hot and cold fluctuations of the engine as well as the vibrations of the engine. Maybe it's the climate, idk? I've noticed scraping that junk off it isn't very flexible once cured, so it can't keep a good seal when the different metals flex through hot/cold cycles, thus creating a "seep" or a "wet spot".

I don't follow manufacture specifications hardly ever, I use what works, I've sealed thousands of manifolds and engine builds from bare block up. I go for grey every single time, because it works. Just like when I reseal a trans pan on a th400, I don't just throw a pan gasket on like half the grease monkeys out there. I will actually lightly belt sand the gasket surface of the pan until fit, straight, and flush. Then apply Permatex high tack to both surfaces and throw the pan up with new gaskets. I do this not because I got it out of a ******** DIY handbook, because it works.

I flagged almost 4000 hours last year, and it damn sure wasn't because I was going back and scraping off that ultrashit black. It works, don't get me wrong, but for how long? I work in what you might consider an "elite" shop, we are part of a network of about 10 similar shops in an area of 200+ miles who are held to a higher standard of inspection, diag, and repair. Our customers hold us to this and if they see a wet spot, they'll be back trust me. I like Permatex products, but they have far better options on their own line of products than Black, I personally believe the only reason they sell it anymore is because it sucks and the manufacturers "recommend" it most of the time. Seal it however you want, doesn't affect me at all, this is just my .02 cents from the many miles under my belt. I'm not the only one who feels this way:biggun:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My only relevant experience with silicone is Permatex. Overall, there's good and bed techs wherever you go, doesn't matter the shop name or the "rating" of the shop, a lot of the techs at my GM dealer sucked TBH and I feel that way about most stealerships. I'm a perfectionist to say the least, my 454 doesn't leak a drop of oil, not the intake gasket, not the valve covers, not the front cover, not the front or rear main seals, not the oil pan, and not the drain plug. I use grey silicone on most things, anaerobic on others, no black though lol. It's been my experience from using both basic black and ultra black, no matter how it's installed, when it dries it is too rigid and doesn't hold up to the hot and cold fluctuations of the engine as well as the vibrations of the engine. Maybe it's the climate, idk? I've noticed scraping that junk off it isn't very flexible once cured, so it can't keep a good seal when the different metals flex through hot/cold cycles, thus creating a "seep" or a "wet spot".

I don't follow manufacture specifications hardly ever, I use what works, I've sealed thousands of manifolds and engine builds from bare block up. I go for grey every single time, because it works. Just like when I reseal a trans pan on a th400, I don't just throw a pan gasket on like half the grease monkeys out there. I will actually lightly belt sand the gasket surface of the pan until fit, straight, and flush. Then apply Permatex high tack to both surfaces and throw the pan up with new gaskets. I do this not because I got it out of a ******** DIY handbook, because it works.

I flagged almost 4000 hours last year, and it damn sure wasn't because I was going back and scraping off that ultrashit black. It works, don't get me wrong, but for how long? I work in what you might consider an "elite" shop, we are part of a network of about 10 similar shops in an area of 200+ miles who are held to a higher standard of inspection, diag, and repair. Our customers hold us to this and if they see a wet spot, they'll be back trust me. I like Permatex products, but they have far better options on their own line of products than Black, I personally believe the only reason they sell it anymore is because it sucks and the manufacturers "recommend" it most of the time. Seal it however you want, doesn't affect me at all, this is just my .02 cents from the many miles under my belt. I'm not the only one who feels this way:biggun:

Well I dont know what the difference would be, but like I said, I never had a single comeback for an oil leak and the Ultra Black is what I preferred to use. The shop I worked at has been around longer than most and has countless loyal customers, many of which have been customers since long before I was even born. I can keep going about all the things I've done, but it really doesn't matter. I'm not saying gray is bad... It generally is just fine. I've said what I found to be reliable as a sealer and that's good enough for me, I have no desire to sway your opinion. I think we will just have to disagree :cheers:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I will say this too. Please don't call my work leak-prone, because then I will not be happy. I take pride in my work and don't take kindly to people calling it faulty. Not saying you did mind you, but just in case it was coming.

EightyEight

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I will say this too. Please don't call my work leak-prone, because then I will not be happy. I take pride in my work and don't take kindly to people calling it faulty. Not saying you did mind you, but just in case it was coming.

Not saying that at all, use what you want. ;) It's all preference at the end there's not a right or wrong silicone to use honestly, it can't hurt much unless you get all squeeze happy in the valley.:33:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Not saying that at all, use what you want. ;) It's all preference at the end there's not a right or wrong silicone to use honestly, it can't hurt much unless you get all squeeze happy in the valley.:33:
Yes huh blue goo sucks lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh I forgot to mention, destroying O2 sensors lol

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dug around a little more and scrapped off some gunk. Found out the manifold is a performer series. Soo yay for me?

I have never seen the blue used, but have seen and used the ultra black as well as the orange stuff. Never was too impressed with the orange.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know they make that, the original “blue goo” ate them like it was it’s job.
They done away with that **** a long time ago didn't they????.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Dug around a little more and scrapped off some gunk. Found out the manifold is a performer series. Soo yay for me?

I have never seen the blue used, but have seen and used the ultra black as well as the orange stuff. Never was too impressed with the orange.
Performer is a good street intake, if you use a square bore carb all you need is a plate and you're good to go...... The "Ultra Blue" works the same as the black, guess it's ok if you have a blue engine, lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrtc