Leaking intake manifold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Performer is a good street intake, if you use a square bore carb all you need is a plate and you're good to go...... The "Ultra Blue" works the same as the black, guess it's ok if you have a blue engine, lol..

Ah now I get it! so I need everything to match color wise. Blue RTV everywhere, blue bushings and even blue loctite. Lol Need to get myself a set of tow mirrors to match.

You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ah now I get it! so I need everything to match color wise. Blue RTV everywhere, blue bushings and even blue loctite. Lol Need to get myself a set of tow mirrors to match.

LOL...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Lol, I remember back in high school, me and my friends used the ultra blue on every gasket surface we could. We also went by the theory there should be a 1/8 bead squeezed out from whatever we were sealing, too. The joys of being young and dumb, thinking we knew what we were doing, and had all the answers.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol, I remember back in high school, me and my friends used the ultra blue on every gasket surface we could. We also went by the theory there should be a 1/8 bead squeezed out from whatever we were sealing, too. The joys of being young and dumb, thinking we knew what we were doing, and had all the answers.
Those joys still live on today as the norm with some.....

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
As far as the end seals, I've been a full time technician for several years including a GM dealer, I've sealed way too many sbc intake manifolds. If you use black rtv you're gonna leak, I gaurantee it. Get grey RTV, apply a nice thick pinky sized bead across the ends, it'll still leak it's inevitable, but not for another 2 years, black RTV won't last 2 weeks. In my industry we call black RTV "Comeback black" it's junk to use on any kind of torqued manifolds, I only use it on the little not-so-important things.
I have huge hands, do I still use the pinky size bead? How do I keep the RTV from squishing into the oil galley and getting sucked into the oil pump and causing different issues. I knew a guy who used that technique on an intake manifold and the oil pump was full of silicone when he rebuilt it a couple weeks later.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That theory "if enough is good more is better" that some believe in is wrong, anything that squishes out is just a waste and the part that's inside always falls off, I always lay the intake down and see how much gap there is, then lay a bead the thickness of the gap, when the intake is tightened down it will come down more and push on the silicone for a seal without any squished out, clean sanitary and no **** at the oil pickup..

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
That theory "if enough is good more is better" that some believe in is wrong, anything that squishes out is just a waste and the part that's inside always falls off, I always lay the intake down and see how much gap there is, then lay a bead the thickness of the gap, when the intake is tightened down it will come down more and push on the silicone for a seal without any squished out, clean sanitary and no **** at the oil pickup..
I concur and I don't know if I made my point but your point was my point. Points for us!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think the last time I did an intake set I ended up laying the gaskets and bead, of at the time ultra black, then I set the manifold down with bolts snug but not torqued. Let it dry overnight then torqued it in the morning. Really have no idea if it made any difference doing it that way.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I think the last time I did an intake set I ended up laying the gaskets and bead, of at the time ultra black, then I set the manifold down with bolts snug but not torqued. Let it dry overnight then torqued it in the morning. Really have no idea if it made any difference doing it that way.
That seems like a reasonable method to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’ve always told young people I trained at the dealership, what ever pushes out is also pushing in. VW and Audi stopped using gaskets on a lot of things in like 99 on most engines.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That works fine just unnecessary time, all you need to do is lay the bead down and wait 10-15 minutes for it to fire off so it has body to it, then lay the intake down and tighten it done deal. For those that don't know, silicone needs moisture to fire off, so if you're in a dry climate area to speed things up use a spray bottle and water with a very fine mist and spray the air above the silicone and it'll fire off quick, otherwise it can take a while to fire off depending how dry it is, I learned that when I moved to AZ, lol..

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I worked as an auto mechanic for the better part of thirteen years and never one time to date have I so much as TOUCHED "grey silicone".
I like black for oil contact, and I use Permatex brush-on "gasket sealer" to both sides of every single gasket I ever installed, after I learned of it's magical powers - that never fail.

"The Right Stuff" is exactly that.

Hope this helps!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I use "High Tact" works good, easy clean up too..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising