Key release on column stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
So I replaced my ignition cylinder, old One key came out in any position and was borderline about to snap in half(plus the chrome piece had disappeared a while ago).

Put new one in it cycles fine but to release the key I gotta jerk that release super hard to get it to move and is really loud. I imagine that's from years of just not using it. Is there a way to loosen that up without breaking down the column?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So I replaced my ignition cylinder, old One key came out in any position and was borderline about to snap in half(plus the chrome piece had disappeared a while ago).

Put new one in it cycles fine but to release the key I gotta jerk that release super hard to get it to move and is really loud. I imagine that's from years of just not using it. Is there a way to loosen that up without breaking down the column?
when trying to get metal parts like that to free up, the best timre would have been without the key cylinder in it . when i replaced my key cylinder in my column, it had been YEARS iwithout usage too. only manual trans columns should have the lever. and mine worked flawlessly, im wondering if yours isnt binding or if the internals arent potentially worn. BUT if you need to free things up, something like a column I would use a dry lube first like
You must be registered for see images attach

This would be best ot use on the lock/key/interlock parts of your column

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I will take everything apart further once it warms up and check it out.
From what I could see is the rod and steering lock nub were engaging almost all the way when I had it apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35