Lost my keys to 86 c10. Ignition Lock Cylinder, can I still remove it with no key???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Ok, so I tried 10 locksmith and they want like $300 to swap out my Ignition Lock Cylinder. WTF?? Its like why cant you just make me a key???? They say they have to tear apart the steering column to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder. I just want a key made, does nobody
know how to do that anymore. Anyway I watched a few videos on how to swap out the Ignition Lock Cylinder and it shows you need the
key in it to put it in the start position so the cylinder will slide out the column. So how does the locksmith do it without a key????

Anyway is it possible to do this without a key? I can get new Ignition Lock Cylinder and door locks with keys new for $35.00
Just need to figure how to remove Ignition Lock Cylinder without key if its possible!! THANKS

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
You should NOT need the key to remove. You'll need to remove the steering wheel, lock-plate & turn signal switch to acces the torx bolt (may also be phillips) that holds the cylinder in place. The older columns you could use a dent puller & snatch them out.

HS

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I had to do this in the parking lot at work to get home lol, key broken. You got this!!
You will want a puller for lock plate tho. Or an extra set of hands works too. In another thread somewhere someone has a video on it.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I have made a bunch of side hustles making repairs on these GM columns. I've worked on them at other folks' house, parking lots, my garage & even other businesses. The few tools required have definitely paid for themselves over the years. Nasty, be easy with the signal switch & pull it off to the side & you'll be able to access the cylinder.

Strickland

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Thanks everyone. Ok, you guys are saying I dont need a key to remove the cylinder lock??
Just the normal tools and a compression tool for the snap ring. I can do this myself
if I dont need a key. Thanks again

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
ghyujhjh duplicate

Last edited:

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Thanks everyone. Ok, you guys are saying I dont need a key to remove the cylinder lock??
Just the normal tools and a compression tool for the snap ring. I can do this myself
if I dont need a key. Thanks again

Correct. You only need to remove a screw buried under the turn signal switch to remove the lock cylinder. Key is not needed for any of those steps

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Do you have the lock plate tool? In a jamb you can use a flat washer and a nut. Take off the steering wheel nut,now put a big flat washer there. Put the nut back,just a couple of threads,put 2 bolts nuts,sockets,whatever between the washer and the lock plate,tighten the nut it'll will push the lock plate in. If you have the tool,great use it,if your stuck,now you know a workaround

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Do you have the lock plate tool? In a jamb you can use a flat washer and a nut. Take off the steering wheel nut,now put a big flat washer there. Put the nut back,just a couple of threads,put 2 bolts nuts,sockets,whatever between the washer and the lock plate,tighten the nut it'll will push the lock plate in. If you have the tool,great use it,if your stuck,now you know a workaround
Thank you!:cheers:

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, so I tried 10 locksmith and they want like $300 to swap out my Ignition Lock Cylinder. WTF?? Its like why cant you just make me a key???? They say they have to tear apart the steering column to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder. I just want a key made, does nobody
know how to do that anymore. Anyway I watched a few videos on how to swap out the Ignition Lock Cylinder and it shows you need the
key in it to put it in the start position so the cylinder will slide out the column. So how does the locksmith do it without a key????

Anyway is it possible to do this without a key? I can get new Ignition Lock Cylinder and door locks with keys new for $35.00
Just need to figure how to remove Ignition Lock Cylinder without key if its possible!! THANKS
i don't want to sidetrack your thread.
thought i might comment about making keys.

i personally don't know anything :)
a good friend is a locksmith. really admire the education he has gone through for his business.

anyway, on the squarebodies, to 'make a key' you do need access to the 'core'. a locksmith absolutely can look at it and cut a key correctly.

otherwise, i give my friend the glovebox lock, if it has one, and that gives the first 'set' of cuts, then it's trial and error to cut the remaining.

my friend also has a device you can use on the entry lock (without removing) to note the first set of cuts. it's like a lockpick that records what depth was used at each cut location.

time and material extensive. several blanks are ruined usually.

anyway, not to say $300.00 isn't big money, it is for me for sure.
just saying, unless you have the 'cuts' written down, fast keymaking is duplicating from a good key in hand. not 'figuring out' the correct key from scratch. you could remove your core and take it to a locksmith though.
:)

good luck!

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I do hope you get it fixed but,
you don't have an extra set of keys?!!! WTF is wrong with you? You should drink more.
You must be registered for see images attach
LMMFAO. I am an IDIOT for not having a extra set for sure. Been thinking about that since
they got lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia