Just picked up a Carter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
This quadrajet is supposed to have the bushing upgrade on the butterfly shafts, everything felt tight during the rebuild so I left that part alone. I think something happen in the float bowl or its got a vacuum leak somewhere.

The linkage was an easy fix with the kit I got at summitracing.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know that I'm about ready to throw my Edelbrock 1406 out in the street....I've adjusted this damn thing twice since I bought the truck..It runs great for a while, then the idle jumps up 100-200 or so RPM and will idle down when you "snap" the throttle...I've looked for vacuum leaks, and haven't found any yet, but it's getting annoying. I think tax time I'm going to get rid of this intake/carb/cam setup and do something different.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The main reason my Q-jet came off is the choke was disconnected, I disconnected the choke because it needed adjusted. One day I was driving it and the idle step cam decided to change position so the thing would idle about 4k RPM.

If yours is bumping up the idle check out that step cam, and make sure your throttle is closing all the way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Or a bit stiffer return spring, or make the one you have a tad tighter. I suggest this because you mentioned snapping the throttle. Sometimes its your throttle cable not lubbed and its very stiff not letting the linkage come all the way back to idle position. So a stiffer spring will help overcome that problem, or if you can, find a way to get some powder graphite into the throttle cable.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've seen throttle cables fray and cause what you describe. One frayed wire from the cable can keep it from closing all the way (and has the potential to stick it WOT).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've seen throttle cables fray and cause what you describe. One frayed wire from the cable can keep it from closing all the way (and has the potential to stick it WOT).
YEP !!! What he said.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Rodney Carrington fan?

Hell yea, I forgot about that reference he made, I guess it just stuck in my head this whole time. He was just here performing in Reno Recently I wish we went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrel