Just picked up a Carter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I feel like I sold out since I was such a fan of the quadrajet. The carburetor worked great after I rebuilt but now its giving me a ton of problems. Just ran out and picked up a carter afb and adapter plate.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
IMO a much better carb, easier to work on, I never had a problem with them, other then fuel boil on an alum. intake w/o a plate.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Went to drop it on my stock manifold and guess what, EGR is in the way. I had no idea it was so hard to find the block off plate but long behold there is a summit racing store here that carries them.

Second order of business thats got me concerned about the swap, My throttle linkage is different. Swims, can you show me a picture of how yours is set up?

third thing Is the big vacuum fitting that threaded into the baseplate of my quadrajet. It looks like I can remove the metal tube and just run a rubber hose. Any thoughts?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep the tube unbolts and you can run it into the threaded rear port. Then use rubber hose we did, as for the egr, sorry man if I knew you had it still I would have told ya, had the same thing happen to us. edelbrock has an egr kit to relocate it and keep it there, bought our block off from local autozone, had one in stock. You could easily make one.

If I remember right the big fitting on the quadrajet comes out and the tube goes into that fitting, not sure if you need the fitting on the edelbrock or not, it's been awhile. I can look at ours both our in the yard if it don't rain all day and get pics. The one on the monte carlo was quadrajet replacement, and the one in dad's 84 now is on a weiand intake. I just used a threaded barb fitting from my trans cooler kit on the back of it, some teflon tape and rubber hose with clamps. You're gonna need a longer fuel line too. We used an inline filter and rubber hose.

As for the linkage we bought the 2 studs from edelbrock, one for kickdown th350 and 700r4 is the same stud, the throttle is one that has a washer and cotter pin, they are like $5 each. If not you can rig up a small screw for throttle and like 2 nuts, the first has to stay loose to let the cable move, the 2nd nut locks the first in place. Done that many times on the old 76 we had.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That sounds simple enough. sounds like it will be cheaper than I thought, knock on wood. The throttle cable just seemed to be hitting on the carburator on the linkage plate, I thought I was going to have to change that whole damn setup.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
we didn't have a problem with ours, had it on an 86 k10 with a 700r4 and then one the 85 with the th350c and 305. I don't really know why it would hit kinda sucks. I had the spectre bracket on the truck now it was only like $12 and had the plate for the kickdown cable too.

I think this is the plate I bought for our egr.,..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=235807_0_0_

kickdown stud..
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-Stud-Edelbrock_5022177-P_N3352_P|GRP2060____

throttle stud..
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-GM-Edelbrock_5021855-P_N3339G_P|GRP2030P____

some different brackets too if yours won't work..
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...on=&actionSrc=Form&searchTerm=linkage+bracket

I used those exact studs and it could not be easier.

Last edited:

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
get a Phenolic Plastic spacer this will make you clear your egr and will keep from the fuel boiling and help power a tad bit....

i am very happy with my edelbrock (which is just like a carter) has electric choke man i can turn that baby over she fires right up in the mornings or when i havent started it in awhile...

On the throttle i used a holley kit that i had when i rebuilt my holley it was like an accessory kit but the only problem i had with my eddy was i could punch it from a take off going stright it would do just fine but when i would turn it would bog down then go which i prolly didnt adjust something right

But i dont care what anyone says an eddy(carter) are good carbs i went through like 5 holleys but you can make quadrajets run damn good a had a 750 quad off a 396 from a camaro man that thing ran

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that spacer won't work, if he's got a quad intake he needs the spreadbore to square bore adapter, and if you add a spacer to that it's gonna be really tall off the intake and look thrown together imo, have two spacers stacked on each other.

I remember ppl saying you need a geometry kit to make the tv cable work properly though.

As for fuel boiling, never had it happen with a stock quad intake, only the alum. weiand one.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
crap carbs... not especially good milage carbs, not especially good performance carbs. but hey, they're simple enough that your grandma can rebuild one.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
they are simple. I had no problems with one for mileage though, or performance. I know they aint the best but they work well for a mild build or stock. I think the monte carlo with a 305, th350 and 3.42's gets around 20 mpg.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
that spacer won't work, if he's got a quad intake he needs the spreadbore to square bore adapter, and if you add a spacer to that it's gonna be really tall off the intake and look thrown together imo, have two spacers stacked on each other.

I remember ppl saying you need a geometry kit to make the tv cable work properly though.

As for fuel boiling, never had it happen with a stock quad intake, only the alum. weiand one.

ah i didnt see he was using a stock intake

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yea I got the adapter yesterday, All I lack now is something for the throttle and getting it put together.

Apparently here in Reno they have one of three Summitracing stores and that is where I got my egr blockoff plate. You could spend hours looking around in the store. Coolest store I've ever been in, just hard to hide your ********.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yea I got the adapter yesterday, All I lack now is something for the throttle and getting it put together.

Apparently here in Reno they have one of three Summitracing stores and that is where I got my egr blockoff plate. You could spend hours looking around in the store. Coolest store I've ever been in, just hard to hide your ********.

:rofl:.....I could probably spend every weekend in a Summit store.....IF I had the money.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
There is only three of these places in the nation and i think i figured out why. If every city had one the divorce rate of our country would skyrocket after everyone blows all their cash on auto parts.

The only thing that could top this place is putting a tittie bar in wal-mart.

I forgot to mention its cheap, I got my block off for 8 bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave