Just picked up a Carter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I got pics for ya man, should have picked up the kickdown and throttle stud and maybe a correction kit while you were there. I'd love to go to summit store, I'd be broke in a second.

aftermarket...
You must be registered for see images attach

stock 84 truck bracket..

threaded nipple or barbed fitting that has rubber hose 5/16 and then a vacuum t fitting out the back for trans mod. and power brake booster.

quadrajet nipple in the edelbrock carb..

egr plate

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Hey thanks alot man, thats exactly what I needed too see. Thats hopefully the last issue i run into with this carb.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I love my Carter-based Edelbrock, only thing I would have done differently was get mechanical choke and vacuum secondaries. The electric choke never works right in the winter no matter how much you adjust it. One warm day and what worked good on a cold day doesnt work. And the mechanical secondaries dump so much fuel, even when the engine cant use it, fouling plugs and loading up the engine. You just gotta know when to peg it, or work up to it. Or red-line it and side-step the clutch!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
That's all I run both of those above and all the others we had vac. sec. and manual chokes that are wired open, so basically no choke.

Not a problem man I was out buttoning up things on the 84, had to steal a plug wire off the monte carlo, discovered the truck had a dead plug, so I had both hoods up and grabbed pics. My brother in law won't mind since it's his MC now and it's sitting in my yard til spring when I get a chance to fix it. Got a trans leak, brakes sticking in back ps, and other little things he wants done or his daddy wants done I should say, other then the trans leak I'd drive it anywhere as it sits.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I just got it on, I should have taken pictures for the writeup but I cant find the little card for my camera.

My truck sounds 100 times better than before, its got a really good idle and great response. Now I just need to get the throttle linkage figured out and she runs.

I dont know what happen to my Q-jet but the thing worked great right after I rebuilt it and after the 1000 mile trip the thing just **** out on me, All the problems I was having with the performance must have been all because of the carb. This project was totally worth the money.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I forgot to ask about the electric choke, I noticed there is two post, does that mean I put one 12v hot and one ground to it?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah one should be marked (+) just run it to the "ON" of the ignition switch. Not a contact that is always hot, but one that is hot with the key on.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Went back to the Summit store and got a awesome linkage adapter for under 10 bucks, its even chrome. I test drove the pickup and she runs better than ever!

Thanks for clearing up the 2 wire choke, I will run out and get some connectors for it in the morning.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm curious on the linkage thing what did you need to adapt or change? need to get pics up of it. or got a summit part number? maybe they have pics?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I'm curious on the linkage thing what did you need to adapt or change? need to get pics up of it. or got a summit part number? maybe they have pics?

After some consideration I think it should be a writeup with pictures since alot of people will end up at least thinking about switching carbs. It all comes apart way easy so I will get that up tomorrow with part numbers and all.

Your going to like this device, it just bolts to the back drivers side stud on the carb and is all adjustable, very cheap too.

Just noticed its the same one in your first picture HAHA.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
oh ok yea we bought that awhile back. It is nice but it does move around some. Of course my old man bent a flap up on it instead of leaving it down, guess it wouldn't fit another carb he had? For the longest time we never had the kickdown part on it, until we put it in my car and had auto :(. it's easy and kinda cleaner then the stock setup too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
yea it eliminated that throttle cable bracket and makes it look cleaner. I just went on another parts hunt this morning, this **** is getting so expensive. Im buying my second throttle stud since the first one was to big.

I could not find the tall air cleaner element at Autozone, all they list is the short one. 20 more bucks at harbor freight for ******** connectors and wire strippers.

My wife is going to choke me.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I got the electric choke hooked up and working great. I went to put my stock air cleaner on and discovered some clearance issues. Son of a bitch!

I looked into a riser to clear the half inch obstruction an realized its probably going to cause the air cleaner to hit the hood with the combination of my adapter and a riser.

Also I looked up the part number for a new filter element and all they listed was the short filter. I could not find a tall one like mine.

Looks like all I can do is buy aftermarket.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool, so you did get it on and working??? I thought I had you squared away in PM on that choke and linkage. Should have been simple as hell being you didn't need to worry about the Detent cable kickdown for an auto trans. But its all good huh???
Strange thing about Qjets, and why I don't rebuild them very often, is because the where the throttle rod goes thru the base plate for the throttle butterflies, its common that the base plate will wear and you'll always have a vac leak there and make its hard to tune or get the best performance out of them. So, best left to a carb shop to do and have it done right. Now I have seen a kit you can buy, but its quite pricey, where you get the drill bit, and the reamer, then a few bushings where you can bush that portion of the base plate and that issue should not come back, and you then you can have a good rebuild.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can pretty use any carb, Qjet, Holley or Carter AFB (Edelbrock), just depends on the purpose of the vehicle. A Qjet can get you decent fuel mileage tuned and built right and then driven right with its small primaries. A Holley is good if you want a hotrod and able to tune it often since they don't seem to hold and adjustment for long. But they are so easy to work on, then again, one little backfire thru the carb, and there went your power vavle in the carb, and then jet sizes and parts or mods for Holley, the sky is the limit. I like the Carters for performance also and driven right, you can also get fair mpg, and what I like most is once you get it tuned right and where you want it. weld the hood shut, cuz it will hold its adjustment forever. Not alot of metering rods sizes available like in Holley, but still plenty enough to get you were you want to be. The Carters are quite a bit more complicated than Holley too, but with patience and experience, you can build them and have a successful build. So, I mainly stick with Carter for the semi performance rides, and Qjets for the basic stock or OEM rides and rarely have carb issues. Haven't used a Holley in over 20 years or so, and I think I still have 3 or 4 of them. Doh, come to think of it, maybe sold them off on eBay some years ago. I had or have several of the 1850-2 and 1850-3. Kinda don't like the -3 since its got many plastic parts. That is the Holley 600CFM Vac Secondary with manual choke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT