How much RTV is needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
On a carb? This is after I replaced the accelerator pump. When I bought the truck, the Holley smelled like it was running rich. It also dumped fuel from the accelerator pump. Since the q-jet needs to be re-rebuilt, I decided to throw the Holley back on. At least leaking it got 12-15 mpg. I forgot it leaked, slapped it on. And presto, instant memory. Run down to the parts store two nights ago, pull the carb back off, replaced the accelerator pump, runs like a champ. Still some drivability issues, but I figured it was a divorced choke and I didn't install the vacuum pull off and it needed to be tuned. I adjust the idle mixture so it was a little more lean and best this truck ran... For one ******* day. Yesterday morning I got 4 miles down the road before having to pull over. Get it home last night, barely. Pull it in the garage tonight. Tap on the float bowl. Clamped the fuel line. Ran it out of fuel. Unclamped and started up, fuel is pouring out of the vent valve.

I bet this has something to do with it.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
This is the second part that had globs of RTV. The accelerator pump did too. *face palm*

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Put some more on...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wait !!! WHAT??? You don't use RTV on a carb. That **** will break down cut loose and start clogging orfices and cause all kinds of issues. If the gasket is bad, it's bad. Replace the gasket. If you think the metering block might be warped a little and not getting a good seal, then I'd suggest try doubling up and use 2 gaskets. It might not work, but I'd damn sure do that rather than use RTV.

Now this is just my opinion of course, but I have feeling others will agree.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Wait !!! WHAT??? You don't use RTV on a carb. That **** will break down cut loose and start clogging orfices and cause all kinds of issues. If the gasket is bad, it's bad. Replace the gasket. If you think the metering block might be warped a little and not getting a good seal, then I'd suggest try doubling up and use 2 gaskets. It might not work, but I'd damn sure do that rather than use RTV.

Now this is just my opinion of course, but I have feeling others will agree.

Yeah, rtv has no business being anywhere near a carb.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
0 RTV is the correct answer... Even worse, the gasket is reusable lmao... Is this the carb the "pros" rebuilt for you?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Holy ****, gas has a field day with silicone, I don't remember ever seeing that before, what a mess..:eek:

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
No... this is the carb that came on the truck that I put back on while I sent the q-jet to get re-rebuilt.

Yes, Im pissed at the amount and the fact that there is any RTV on a carb. Like piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssed off.

This Holley was leaking from the accelerator pump. Found RTV on it and Im pretty sure thats why it was leaking. Then two days later fuel was pouring out of the vent. So I took the fuel bowl off and found this. I pull the gasket off but it wasnt salvageable. So Im going to buy a rebuild kit tonight and rebuild it.

Question though. This is an older 650 and the float need is not adjustable. Do you think its worn out? I think some RTV could have gotten into the float and needle and cause it to over fill. The truck ran great for one day and the over night, ran like ****. I dont see a needle just going out over night. Especially after I drove it for.... 50 miles and it ran great.

If you think the needle and seat are worn, and its one that isnt adjustable, is it worth me trying to find the needle assembly, or putting a different bowl on it? Bowls seem to be more than I want to spend on a temporary carb. I have someone wanting to buy this carb for $150 because I knew it needed to be rebuilt. If I rebuild it, Im raising the price on it.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
No... this is the carb that came on the truck that I put back on while I sent the q-jet to get re-rebuilt.

Yes, Im pissed at the amount and the fact that there is any RTV on a carb. Like piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssed off.

This Holley was leaking from the accelerator pump. Found RTV on it and Im pretty sure thats why it was leaking. Then two days later fuel was pouring out of the vent. So I took the fuel bowl off and found this. I pull the gasket off but it wasnt salvageable. So Im going to buy a rebuild kit tonight and rebuild it.

Question though. This is an older 650 and the float need is not adjustable. Do you think its worn out? I think some RTV could have gotten into the float and needle and cause it to over fill. The truck ran great for one day and the over night, ran like ****. I dont see a needle just going out over night. Especially after I drove it for.... 50 miles and it ran great.

If you think the needle and seat are worn, and its one that isnt adjustable, is it worth me trying to find the needle assembly, or putting a different bowl on it? Bowls seem to be more than I want to spend on a temporary carb. I have someone wanting to buy this carb for $150 because I knew it needed to be rebuilt. If I rebuild it, Im raising the price on it.

A needle and seat are like ten bucks, but honestly, if someone will give you 150 for it, punt it. I buy them at the junkyards for like 15-20 bucks all the time lol.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Its been 20 years since I touched a carb. I have never touched a Holley. I purchased a rebuilt q-jet so I could go back to factory and get an idea of whats actually wrong with the truck. I figured my q-jet builder would get it correct of the first time since I told him, Chevy C10 with a 305/700r4. I was trying to save money and time, I was wrong.

Im guessing since the previous owner only owned it 2 months, it was more of a headache than he bargained for. He didnt seem mechanical at all. So I think it was the previous owner before him or whoever he had work done. Trust me, the **** that I am finding, no one "professional" ever touched this truck. Ha. Its bad. Thats fine, I know what Im doing. Go back to stock and go from there.

Like the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
As you can see from the pic of the carb too... not adjustable.
No sight ports, no adjustments. Ha. Id hate it to be a needle issue.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704