Help with a water leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You're right about the rattles though. I would bet that 90% of them were caused by owner modification, or simply the owners **** they couldn't be bothered to take out of the car since they were too busy bitching about a rattle.
That’s why they put a volume knob on the radio. Yeah that line got me in trouble a few times lol people just don’t have a sense of humor

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Where's that vibration coming from!? And that blasted squeak!!!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Update on this. Used 2 hours of my PTO to take the truck into the guy who replaced the windshield to have him get this fixed.
He ended up opening the seal and pumping come clear silicone into it, as he was doing so he proceeded to tell me the only way to keep these old trucks from leaking is to get a new paint job and park it in a garage, and also that I should get something newer.

Since when has the service industry turned against keeping and driving older vehicles?

Anyway took the truck home. was going to give it a few days before using the garden hose to test it out, but on the way to work this morning a light shower or rain and once again I have water coming down the passenger side of my glove box and down the kick panel.

Should I take it to a different shop and pay them to unscrew up whatever he messed up? I really don't feel like getting another lecture on how I need to buy something else.
Or is this a lost cause? like no matter what I do is this thing just going to be determined to rust out its own floor board? and dribble on the lady friend's shoes?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't think it's a lost cause. I think that guy was a moron, a dick, and lazy. I'd call around town or neighboring towns and find a glass shop that had someone working there with a brain. Just explain the issue and gauge whether or not they're privy to what these trucks do in terms of the leaking, if they at least have the initiative to see it through, or is this guy just another tool who thinks they know more than he actually does. Man, I'd consider it a privilege to have a face to face conversation with that dipshit. Anyways, I hope and think you can resolve this. There are plenty of these trucks out there that don't leak so I'm sure you're right on the cusp of getting this ironed out.

Reactions: WFO

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think your exactly right. He had a nice restored 71 Chevelle sitting there that we got to talking about. Apparently the only work he did on it himself was the glass work. Body and motor were all done by other shops, poor guy pointed to an AC condenser and told me it was some kind of inter-cooler.... That should have been a huge waving red flag.

I'll call around today and find another shop. Hopefully one that has some decency, will actually correct the problem, and wont charge me an arm and leg. But at this point I'll happily throw money at it so long as it gets fixed.

FYI for anyone in the Oregon area: The Glass Man, Inc. is not the place to get any glass work done.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Wow, what a hypocrite. I would have told him that maybe he should get a new paint job on his and park it where no one can see it. And I also would have very curtly corrected him on more of his pretend knowledge with that intercooler comment. That car should belong to someone who can actually know it and appreciate it. Not that poser. Man that steams my clams. Is this the place down the 5 in Tangent? I checked them out on Yelp, Google, and Facebook. 5/5 stars except on Google. Someone had an instance that sounds similar to yours where they messed something up and didn't stand by their work. Maybe you have to drive a Prius or a new Rolls Royce to get quality service from them. I hope you get it ironed out, and I think it shouldn't be a big deal to someone who knows their stuff. If you can find a guy who's been doing the job for thirty or so years, I think that maybe the one to go with if everything else checks out.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep that is the one. I'll be giving them a negative review once I get it checked out with Speedy glass, they told me $35 and they will locate the leak or leaks if its an easy fix they'll do it for free if not then a quote and appointment will be needed they've done good work for me before.

The place was pretty hookey as well, no sign just a rented shop space with no other client autos, no office, just him and his dusty 71. I've had it a few times around here with my 83 k20, since its not a show truck its just an old truck that no one (besides me) cares about so why treat it nicely and actually do a good job on the service that I'm paying for "Its just an old truck". its not like its beat up, rusted through or anything but even if it was. I'm paying for a service so it should be done the same on my truck as it would on a Rolls Royce, with the same amount of care. but then again... I love these old trucks.

Speedy will get it figured out. the Channel and seams aren't rusted out so as long as nothing got fubared at that joke of an establishment it should be pretty simple, just got to get it over there. Working 8-5 M-F really sucks at times.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yep that is the one. I'll be giving them a negative review once I get it checked out with Speedy glass, they told me $35 and they will locate the leak or leaks if its an easy fix they'll do it for free if not then a quote and appointment will be needed they've done good work for me before.

The place was pretty hookey as well, no sign just a rented shop space with no other client autos, no office, just him and his dusty 71. I've had it a few times around here with my 83 k20, since its not a show truck its just an old truck that no one (besides me) cares about so why treat it nicely and actually do a good job on the service that I'm paying for "Its just an old truck". its not like its beat up, rusted through or anything but even if it was. I'm paying for a service so it should be done the same on my truck as it would on a Rolls Royce, with the same amount of care. but then again... I love these old trucks.

Speedy will get it figured out. the Channel and seams aren't rusted out so as long as nothing got fubared at that joke of an establishment it should be pretty simple, just got to get it over there. Working 8-5 M-F really sucks at times.
8-5 yuck....5:30-1:30 rocks and if I would of been there when he said about his “ intercooler” I would of laughed right in his face and walked out

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Update on this. Used 2 hours of my PTO to take the truck into the guy who replaced the windshield to have him get this fixed.
He ended up opening the seal and pumping come clear silicone into it, as he was doing so he proceeded to tell me the only way to keep these old trucks from leaking is to get a new paint job and park it in a garage, and also that I should get something newer.

Since when has the service industry turned against keeping and driving older vehicles?

Anyway took the truck home. was going to give it a few days before using the garden hose to test it out, but on the way to work this morning a light shower or rain and once again I have water coming down the passenger side of my glove box and down the kick panel.

Should I take it to a different shop and pay them to unscrew up whatever he messed up? I really don't feel like getting another lecture on how I need to buy something else.
Or is this a lost cause? like no matter what I do is this thing just going to be determined to rust out its own floor board? and dribble on the lady friend's shoes?

to begin with silicone is NOT windshield sealant. That ******** needs to have his head relocated out of his ass. Sadly you probably need to find a shop that actually knows what they're doing, and like Jesse said, explain your situation. These trucks have been out of production for nearly 30 years, and I would be surprised if you could find anyone who actually used to familiar with these originally.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
And I would make sure to let them know about the silicone that ******* put in there. that stuff won't bond to any other sealant. They may need to pull the glass and clean that **** off the seal.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And I would make sure to let them know about the silicone that ******* put in there. that stuff won't bond to any other sealant. They may need to pull the glass and clean that **** off the seal.

This is exactly what I'm thinking will happen. Just looking at the seal I can tell its not set in properly. Can easily see a gap between the seal and the cab in a spot or two. Then from the inside I can see a gap between the glass and the seal as well. This is what I get for trying somewhere new. I was not even being cheap and looking for the lowest price. Freaking crappy job cost $280. Could probably push for a refund, but its not worth the BS involved. I'll take a long lunch and get it taken into speedy this afternoon.

Thanks all, I'll post back up after the visit today.

On a side note: Anyone have experience with one piece products? http://www.onepieceproducts.com they have a flush front and rear window kit as well as a kit to dump our wing windows for a full solid window. Might be more for the hot rod 2wd guys but still nice to see people making parts for these trucks.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This is exactly what I'm thinking will happen. Just looking at the seal I can tell its not set in properly. Can easily see a gap between the seal and the cab in a spot or two. Then from the inside I can see a gap between the glass and the seal as well. This is what I get for trying somewhere new. I was not even being cheap and looking for the lowest price. Freaking crappy job cost $280. Could probably push for a refund, but its not worth the BS involved. I'll take a long lunch and get it taken into speedy this afternoon.

Thanks all, I'll post back up after the visit today.

On a side note: Anyone have experience with one piece products? http://www.onepieceproducts.com they have a flush front and rear window kit as well as a kit to dump our wing windows for a full solid window. Might be more for the hot rod 2wd guys but still nice to see people making parts for these trucks.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/door-glass-kit-from-brothers.19634/ in the beginning this thread these kits are discussed

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks Honky, that post pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I for one like my wings, plus that whole look without them doesn't fit my 4x4 too well.

Well, I'm off to see the glass wizards hopefully they'll give me good news.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another quick update: This shop is saying that there may be some rust on the body seam behind the seal which is causing it to not seal properly.

However, I speculate that the Dill hole didn't actually take the seal out when he replaced the glass which shattered upon removal. So I have an appointment set up for this coming Monday to have this shop replace my seal (hopefully without breaking the new windshield, but if it does then not a big deal) while they are replacing the seal if I do infact have rust on that seam I'll get that taken care of this summer when its not raining like crazy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20