Help plz Low Rpm Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89burbhead

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So don't know if I am posting this in the right area but I will give you all the info I have,

Vehicle info,
1989 3/4 ton suburban 4x4 with a 350 and a th400 transmission

Problem I am having
A knock or clap at low rpms goes away asoon I give it even alittle gas when in drive or park but it's is loadest when in drive at a red light but it you put it in park it goes almost away

Things I have done,
First thing I did is check the fluids which came back find clean oil nice looking tranny fluid

Second thing I went and bought a sethascope and listened all over the block tranny and dust cover and didn't hear that sound,

Third after that I did some digging talked to some people and they said it could be the flex plate so I went and bought a flex plate told and spun it check for cracks but can't see the area that they say it cracks at so now I am at a lose I don't want to just tear the tranny out to find out I am wrong ,so I thought I'd ask the squarebody community before ripping it apart if you need more info just ask

89burbhead

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
And I did pull one spark plugs wire at a time and see if the knocking stopeds and nothing changed

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would also suspect the flex plate.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I'd say flexplate or even torque converter bolts. The RV engine I put in my Camaro had loose TC bolts when I ran it for the last time in the donor RV. Made a hell of a racket. If I remember correctly it was a sort of slapping sound. Either way, its a quick and easy check, just get under there and make sure all 3 or 6 bolts are good and tight.

If you do find some loose, you may want to think about going ahead and replacing the flexplate anyway. When I pulled the one off the RV engine, the TC bolt holes were all wallowed out. It was not a pretty picture. Just keep that in mind.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thread moved to Engine & Performance, Title updated to bring more help, ideas and opinions. :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I too would consider flexplate and torque converter bolts. I once bought an 80 Camaro for $300 cuz the guy said it had a rod knock. I went and looked it at and said, Yeahhhhhh welllllll, I guess I'll take it. Paid the guy and he asked how I was going to get it home 40 miles without a trailer. I told him, some go, some blow, I'm driving it. I knew it wasn't a rod. Put a flexplate in it and sold it for $1500 a couple weeks later.

89burbhead

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thank you for the input I am glad to here this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members