Loud squeal over 2k rpm need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanrcf

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I bought a 79 C30 back in august and as long as ive owned it its made the squeal. Its got a 454 and it runs the way it should no issue except for the squeal. Thought it was belts so i replaced them, they needed it anyway, tightened them up and the sound didn't leave. Tightened them again and a few more times since but it still squeals. Shortly after my power steering pump started to leak so i replaced it with a reman pump and it still squeals. I did the whole thing, lifted the front end and turned the wheel all types of ways like i was told and i understand a reman pump might still squeal a little but it shouldn't be as bad as it is. It almost sounds like a bearing somewhere but before i replace everything my belts touch i figured i would see if anybody had a good idea of whats goin on.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Does it still have a smog pump? That can squeal and sound like a dying chicken lol. Remove belts and turn things by hand and see how things feel and sound.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Can you get it to run high enough it squeals with the hood up? I would use a stethescope or just a long screwdriver to your ear to find the source. My guess is an accessory bearing.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Or, mismatched pulleys. Pictures?

PS pump pully should be flush with end of pump shaft.

roger0080

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check the condition of the pulleys. I had a squeal like that once on the alternator, starts in at 53 mph. New belt didn't help. Turns out it was the pulley. If your belts are at or below the top of the pulley groove, they're worn out. With a new pulley, the belt is like 3/32" above the pulley. That fixed it for me (new pulley).

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Components will generally make noise at any rpm’s. Squeals are usually belts/pulleys. Especially those that don’t start until they’re moving faster.
We can’t find the squeal for you, online, lol.
Rev it up in park, listen, spray water on suspect belt(s) if it goes away momentarily you found the source.
And no, new steering pumps aren’t supposed to “squeal a little”. Stop taking any automotive advice from whoever told you that.

CATXTraveler

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Run one belt at a time and rev it up. See if that helps isolate the noise so you can rule out parts like alternator, PS pump, AC compressor (if you have one) etc.
If you engine is very cold, you can get away running no belts and rev it up to make sure that it's part of your accessories making the noise, but don't do this for very long since your water pump won't be turning. Remove all belts, fire it up, rev, shut it off. If no noise, start adding belts on at a time until the noise comes back. Then you will know where to start.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I use the same trick as @Grit dog a spray bottle of water and another is runnwith no belts at all temporarily,make sure the squeal is gone with no belts. Overtightening belts is not a good idea,it leads to failure of waterpump,alternator,and power steering pumps.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you check diameters yet? With all the variations available a mismatched water pump, crank, or PS pully diameter is easy to do.

Ask me how I know that. One of those learning experiences.

Joe Voter

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Delta 88
Engine Size
Obviously removing the drive belts one at a time in attempt to eliminate the sound wil be the most prudent means to pinpoint the culprit.
My vote is water pump.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
I would confirm that the crank and PS pulley have the same profile as well as the belt. just went through this with my "83 6.2 as someone had installed an AC PS pump on a non AC engine. the pulleys are not the same and they require different belts and pulleys.AC has a dual pulley and non AC uses a single pulley. Crank pulley needs to be correct as well due to the different belt profile.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's real easy to find a squeeling belt,a little soap and water in a spray bottle the squeal will go away temporarily when you find the offending belt. Then you need to diagnose why? But you will know which belt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko