Head gasket but strange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ok so heres my update ive been very busy meant to look into **** for real over the weekend, didnt get to. But i noticed one thing, i had a slight bit of coolant pooled up on top of the intake manifold right where it meets the heads. Sitting against the valve covers. Sooo prolly thermostat is leaking? Not sure thats even relevent, unless again, its some kind of odd mixture. Havent seen milky **** since it got warm. So i guess yall were prolly right. Condensation. As far as the leak, havent checked the distributer gasket, but again, could be my valve covers (still) cause the corner of the heads seemed kinda worn down if that makes any sense. But it prolly dont. The oil pressure line lol. Dont hit me. ****** leaked cause i had the very simple fitting, with the plastic line, to the gauge set up, and the line ended up kinking and breaking. Didnt feel like messing with it at the time, so matched the threads of the fitting and just stuck a bolt into the engine. Blocked it off. So it could be leaking, havent looked at it since:rotflmao:**** it. Oil leak doesnt scare me, its MINIMAL. Just was worried about the mixture. Again, im gonna get me some of that UV dye and trace her to the source that way. I think yall were prolly right i guess. Condensation:shrug: ill update this thread if it gets any worse or reoocurs, cause clearly this is where the smart ones are. Thank ya thank ya

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ok.........<snip>The oil pressure line lol. Dont hit me. ****** leaked cause i had the very simple fitting, with the plastic line, to the gauge set up, and the line ended up kinking and breaking. Didnt feel like messing with it at the time, so matched the threads of the fitting and just stuck a bolt into the engine. Blocked it off. So it could be leaking, havent looked at it since:rotflmao:**** it..........<snip>

The hole in the block for the oil pressure sender fitting is 1/8" PIPE threads, not machine threads for a bolt.. Although very similar in diameter and thread count, they are not a match.. That could be the source of your leak, but more importantly, if you forced the bolt in very far, you've quite possibly damaged the threads in the block... The proper way to block the hole is with a 1/8" pipe plug...

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
I was worried about that. Went to a place near me called camerons got a special bolt. Was something wierd inbetween metric fine and extra fine threads. Wouldnt have forced anything:happy107: if anything the threads are too slim and oil is creeping up. Went in hand tight nice and smooth. Youre prolly right though that makes alot of sense. And im actually praying that vs a rear main or just something a bit more tedious lol. Anyone who lifted their square knows the struggle of getting to the back of the motor without pulling it. Actually took two ladders and set a walking plank over the engine once just to get past standing on the tire and leaning into it:happy175:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
To renew a 2 piece rear main seal on a 4WD truck is not a hard (or time consuming) job.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I was worried about that. Went to a place near me called camerons got a special bolt. Was something wierd inbetween metric fine and extra fine threads. Wouldnt have forced anything:happy107: if anything the threads are too slim and oil is creeping up. Went in hand tight nice and smooth. Youre prolly right though that makes alot of sense. And im actually praying that vs a rear main or just something a bit more tedious lol. Anyone who lifted their square knows the struggle of getting to the back of the motor without pulling it. Actually took two ladders and set a walking plank over the engine once just to get past standing on the tire and leaning into it:happy175:

Pipe thread, especially 1/8" threads are easily damaged.. Pipe threads are tapered and designed to seal as the 2 parts are tightened against each other.. Hand tight and no sealant will not seal against a pressurized liquid..

I'm curious, as I suspect others are also.. We'd like to see a picture of this "special bolt".. Not a picture of it installed on your engine, but a close up picture of it laying on a flat surface.. To the inexperienced, a hex head pipe plug could look like a "special bolt", I guess..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade