Head gasket but strange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Noticed the usual foamy white oil under my pickup, but am a bit confused because neither my dip stick or my radiator has any evidence of it actually mixing internally. Drove it a few times no white smoke and no sign of over heating at all. Even after driving, the truck doesnt seem to leak it until it sits overnight. Sometimes not at all. This has me very stumped. Its almost as if its leaking out of my heads and mixing as it leaks out of the engine and not internally. Has me stumped. And again, the other day, only leak was the usual oil leak, no antifreeze mix. Thinking about Bars HG1 head sealer. Yeah i know, additives are ****. Prolly wont end up using it, but if anyone has used this exact stuff, some insight of that would be welcomed too. But mostly im just curious about this odd leak. Thanks yall

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Noticed the usual foamy white oil under my pickup, but am a bit confused because neither my dip stick or my radiator has any evidence of it actually mixing internally. Drove it a few times no white smoke and no sign of over heating at all. Even after driving, the truck doesnt seem to leak it until it sits overnight. Sometimes not at all. This has me very stumped. Its almost as if its leaking out of my heads and mixing as it leaks out of the engine and not internally. Has me stumped. And again, the other day, only leak was the usual oil leak, no antifreeze mix. Thinking about Bars HG1 head sealer. Yeah i know, additives are ****. Prolly wont end up using it, but if anyone has used this exact stuff, some insight of that would be welcomed too. But mostly im just curious about this odd leak. Thanks yall
Id do an oil change, coolant flush, and clean everything you can reach before you go off messing with additives, make sure you have a problem first. I might even pull the pan after you drain it to see if there's any foam in there

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It would be best to do the simple things first, like look for leaks.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just a thought.

Been off the road lately? Maybe gone though a puddle or two?

If so, you might want to check the gear oil in the front differential.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Do you run a lot of short trips? My trans am does that sometimes but I have no coolant or oil issues.

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
We can all agree though this is antifreeze mixed with oil though correct? Its not gear oil or anything. I have a 700r4 automatic and its leaking at the back of the motor nowhere near the diff.

You must be registered for see images attach

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Just confused on how it would be leaking this yet there doesnt seem to be any mixing internally? Cant seem to find the leak either because it goes dry after i run it and it all leaks off

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Id do an oil change, coolant flush, and clean everything you can reach before you go off messing with additives, make sure you have a problem first. I might even pull the pan after you drain it to see if there's any foam in there
Dont exactly wanna drain my oil and coolant considering the radiator and dip stick look exactly how they should there doesnt seem to be any mixing internally. Just whereever the leak is. But i would think there has to be some kind of problem if im leaking coolant and oil mix:rotflmao:

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Dont exactly wanna drain my oil and coolant considering the radiator and dip stick look exactly how they should there doesnt seem to be any mixing internally. Just whereever the leak is. But i would think there has to be some kind of problem if im leaking coolant and oil mix:rotflmao:

Id just clean the back of the intake like crazy then, That's a close spot where coolant and oil can leak. Check daily with a clean rag

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Id just clean the back of the intake like crazy then, That's a close spot where coolant and oil can leak. Check daily with a clean rag

Are you thinking distributor gasket or rear main seal and then the back of the intake if it wasn’t sealed right?

83chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SBC
Ive actually thought about all of those. Wouldnt rear main and and distributer just be oil though? Like i said it doesnt seem to be mixing inside the engine, just whereever its leaking. I think the intake manifold is a possible bet. Idk think you guys are right im just gonna not be lazy and check the oil pan out and flush the radiator.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Those would just be oil, but the rear portion of the intake gasket would potentially be your coolant. It’s hard to imagine them mixing so homogenously outside of the engine, though. Are you loosing more oil than a healthy engine would burn over time? Or coolant?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
We can all agree though this is antifreeze mixed with oil though correct? Its not gear oil or anything. I have a 700r4 automatic and its leaking at the back of the motor nowhere near the diff.

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks to me like trans fluid mixed with coolant, water, or just plain condensation on the ground.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And again, you really need to take the time to find were the leak is. Or leaks. It will save a lot of speculation.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
And again, you really need to take the time to find were the leak is. Or leaks. It will save a lot of speculation.

X2.
Also check out the freeze plugs on the rear of the heads. If they are steel they are prone to rusting out and leaking. If that is the problem replace them with brass freeze plugs.
Don't ask me how I know this. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell