Getting ready for winter..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
class class listen you take a piece of string wrap it tightly around the hose wherever is best for you make a mark on the string where two come together--measure length..then divide by pi 3.14 will give you ID of hose

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
i have this big magnetic thing i got from Napa years ago it just sticks itself to the oil pan plug it in,in the morning pull it off and nice warm oil.I do like the idea of the bottom hose warmer,napa stocks those around here this time of year.

Have friends where they get real winters they use the lower hose one and something for the oil.Those damn dipstick heaters have no limit to how hot they will get will cook oil...bad mojo there.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
class class listen you take a piece of string wrap it tightly around the hose wherever is best for you make a mark on the string where two come together--measure length..then divide by pi 3.14 will give you ID of hose
That would be the O.D. measurement, wouldn't it?

Also, the hose on my truck has a different size on each end, and is hard to tell where in the hose it changes size. Some are easy to see the change, like a flare right at one end or the other, mine had more of a broad taper.

So when I cut my hose section out, one end was bigger than the other and I almost got f'd because it didn't match both ends of the heater tube.

So anybody who does this mod has to pay special attention to where your hose size changes along the tube if you happen to have different sized ends.

And it is important to mount it on the rising size of the hose and not in a hump of the hose.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dont forget to put the snowplow, chains, and wheel weights on too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you ever get your truck fixed Dave? Is it ready for winter? What coolant do you have in it and when was the last time it was changed?? I normally run green 50/50 year round and change the green every 3-4 years.

When I say 50/50, I mean I buy 100% coolant and I add my own water. The 50/50 mix **** is a waste of money and a joke. I guess its OK if you're broke down on roadside and don't have water, but its much cheaper in the long run just to buy 100% coolant.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Did you ever get your truck fixed Dave? Is it ready for winter? What coolant do you have in it and when was the last time it was changed?? I normally run green 50/50 year round and change the green every 3-4 years.

When I say 50/50, I mean I buy 100% coolant and I add my own water. The 50/50 mix **** is a waste of money and a joke. I guess its OK if you're broke down on roadside and don't have water, but its much cheaper in the long run just to buy 100% coolant.

Its on the 4 post lift at school replacing pitman arm, idler arm, and pass. side ball joints. I know uses coolant in the overflow container at times.

Then two weeks replacing the spiders injectors with the multi port spider kit.

Got new brake calipers, pads, rotors, shoes, hardware kit, and the teacher showed me how to setup the brake lathe to resurface the drums.

Last edited:

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
I looked at the lower hose i did the upper when i did the water pump..im just going to get a lower hose when i pick up that heater.
And as the whole PI thing i was just frackin with you of course your right its the OD.
I have already lubed anything that can be lubed,adjusted the electric choke,
new belt---ready for some snow.St.louis is weird we can have a winter like last year it stayed snowy and 2 years prior it never got below freezing much with hardly no snow.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Winter is around the corner fellas. :rolleyes:

Don't forget some tips in this thread. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikejeden