Function testing factory Gauges.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I have 2 or 3 in the garage. I just moved one. I'll grab a couple more though. I know 89S had one listed somewhere.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That does gimme ideas though. Next time you're at Budget Wrech Retro, get me a few of those Fibre Optic wires if you don't have a use for them.

I have 2 or 3 in the garage. I just moved one. I'll grab a couple more though. I know 89S had one listed somewhere.

The one I got I will throw in your care package whenever it get's shipped....

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All I gotta say, this muh fuggin Temp Gauge better work after this or I'm blowing the whole damn truck up.

I may have found the problem in the printed circuit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I found this spot behind the printed circuit. It's hard crusty nasty **** and it had the printed circuit stuck to the housing. I was able to get it separated without tearing it. You can see another spot on top that is kind of reddish. The flash whitens out that part of the pic, but that junk runs all the way down to the temp portion of the printed circuit. It kinda looks like rusty water or something ran down the back of the cluster and then dried. Whatever it was, it was sticky. I'll be doing a whole cluster cleaning write up now due to all this ********. Wait til you see this **** !!! So, hopefully that was the issue wiht the temp gauge and when and if I ever get this thing back together, we'll find out if that was it or not. I've got good known tested Gauge and Sending Units now. Good wire to the firewall. All the wire from the cluster to the fuse panel from what I could see of it appeared in tact, un frayed or seperated in the loom, no sign of overheat or melted tape, so I really believe this is going to have it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• K1500Cluster 017b.jpg
    K1500Cluster 017b.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 167

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Are you replacing the printed circuit ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you replacing the printed circuit ?

Negatory !!! Hopefully fixing this one. There is not a break in the circuit. I'm thinking that junk that crossed 2 pin of the gauge leads, is why it's not working. Cleaning the junk off and hopefully that will fix the circuit.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Negatory !!! Hopefully fixing this one. There is not a break in the circuit. I'm thinking that junk that crossed 2 pin of the gauge leads, is why it's not working. Cleaning the junk off and hopefully that will fix the circuit.

Aren't all those circuits sealed? Either way good luck. You can function test with the multi meter while it's apart. Thanks for taking the time to do the pics and any write up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Termiinals will still conduct across the strips. The clamps for the gauge pins just sit on top of the printed circuit. If something is tight enough, and this was stuck real tight, it can cross 2 or 3 lines which is like connecting 3 wires together and grounding something out. I'm hoping this works too. Been fuggin working on all night.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mutha Fuggin Great !!! No sleep at all tonight, truck tore apart, and I get a call, there was a mistake in the schedule. I get to work today from 10:30am-6:30pm with no fuggin sleep, no shower, truck torn to a million fuggin pieces. NICE !!! Had I fuggin known, I wouldn't have tore the damn truck so far apart and at least got some damn sleep. **** !!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mutha Fuggin Great !!! No sleep at all tonight, truck tore apart, and I get a call, there was a mistake in the schedule. I get to work today from 10:30am-6:30pm with no fuggin sleep, no shower, truck torn to a million fuggin pieces. NICE !!! Had I fuggin known, I wouldn't have tore the damn truck so far apart and at least got some damn sleep. **** !!

Isn't that how it goes??? :rolleyes:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm home. Plugged in the Cluster. All I can say is MOTHER FAK !!! FUGG IT !!! Where's the fuggin AK-47??

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I wonder, something I didn't seem to be able to see in person, but seems the camera was able to pick it up. Does this seem to be some bad printed circuit to anyone else???

attachment.php

I've gone 100% thru my cluster. And I mean ALL of it. Will be a write up on that later when time permits. For now, taking advantage of upper 70's weather. Going to be 77 today. High of 60 tomorrow after the cold front hits today about 5pm.

Attachments

• K1500Cluster 033.jpg
    K1500Cluster 033.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 87
  • K1500Cluster 033b.jpg
    K1500Cluster 033b.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 150

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Geez, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have the BWD sensor as well although mine came from O'Reilly's.

I actually have a brand new gauge and have used two different brand new sensors. I also ran a new wire to the gauge cluster and nothing works. I'm actually seriously contemplating getting rid of the electrical gauges on the left side and replacing them with mechanical ones so I can drive the truck again. Really sucks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man what a pain in the balls, I hope I don't have to go through that **** with mine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Geez, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have the BWD sensor as well although mine came from O'Reilly's.

I actually have a brand new gauge and have used two different brand new sensors. I also ran a new wire to the gauge cluster and nothing works. I'm actually seriously contemplating getting rid of the electrical gauges on the left side and replacing them with mechanical ones so I can drive the truck again. Really sucks.

I even went to AZ and got a Wells/Airtex Sender thinking that would do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CmuCmu