Function testing factory Gauges.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
So I have this cluster out of an 87 I want to try and function test everything I can before I start putting stuff back into my dash board.

You must be registered for see images attach

I know at one point Curt mentioned something about checking his with it out of the truck. I have a cheapie multi-meter for the time being, its from harbor freight but it seems to work.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
:popcorn:
I'm wanting to test some extra gauges as well.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would start off with continuity testing.

It's my understanding most of the gauges run off resistance of the sending unit. So you would need to setup some type of adjustable resistor?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I think you are right there John, I have a feeling I will end up at radio shack.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Gas gauge is pretty standard, 0-90 ohm, 0=full 90= empty. Temperature and oil pressure gauges vary from year-to-year but you may be able to get the resistance measurements from a place like Rockauto, look up the sending unit for the particular year and it may have the ohm readings. Volt meter is the easiest one. I have a computer power supply modded to supply 12v 36a. Thought about doing a writeup on that mod, it's a handy thing to have. As far as using an adjustable resistor, if you know the ohm range you need you can do that.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It would be a cool write up Curt. And if we can dig up some ohms info and maybe create a how to for testing OEM gauges that would be hot ****.
You must be registered for see images

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It would be a cool write up Curt. And if we can dig up some ohms info and maybe create a how to for testing OEM gauges that would be hot ****.

My thoughts exactly! Could be a good sticky.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok Jason, going by your truck info in your profile, AC Delco #D8032 oil sender unit runs:

Operating Pressure - PSI: 0-10 psi, 0-27 Ohms, 60 psi, 65-90 Ohms

You know, there is 2 gauges right there that run 0-90 ohms, that may just be the number to use for the rest, I will keep researching. That would also mean that for the fuel and the oil pressure testing you could use a spare sending unit hooked to a battery to test those two gauges. :waytogo:

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
AC Delco Temp sensor part # #213479.

Yikes, look at the temp sender ohms: :wtf:

Temperature Rating: Closed @ 100 Deg. F, 1425 Ohms w/ 7% tol, Open @ 220 Deg. F, 147 Ohms w/ 15% tol.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Awesome stuff you found John!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Also it might be good to note that a common failure point is at the interface of the PC board and the wiring harness - where the 18 conductor clip stabs in to the back. If you are doing a restoration and still need to drive (with gauges & speedometer) it will definitely come out - alot. Just a few times plugging in and out can leave that area of the pc board pretty well torn up.

I learned early on to release that wiring group (the gauge feeds, power, grounds, directionals, etc) from the main artery of the under dash harness. You only get an extra 6-8 inches of slack but that comes in handy when doing a cluster pull. Another trick (speedometer cable) is to pull as much slack as is available from under the cab and push it through the firewall.

Doing those two things allows the cluster to be pulled in towards the steering wheel and then the wiring harness can be released and speedometer cable unclipped without digging around in back of the dash.

If you have a 4WD indicator or check engine light that mounts out side the main gauge board (usually up top) it helps to splice in an extra 10-12 inches of wire. The factory wires are short and the added wire allows you to twist the lamps in with the cluster resting on the steering column.

And, as I discovered from a bad experience, the white scale markings and letters on the dial faces will smear easily. If the faces are dusty, resist the temptation to use any thing other than a mild soap and luke warm water solution to clean them. Even then, don't rub them with anything - a finger tip can smear the white paint and make the face look like crap. Only swish the gauge around in the soapy water and rinse clean. They will come out looking brand new. If you have to get a stubborn layer of grime off, use a q-tip to cut in around the markings.

For some reason the orange paint on the rays is much more stable - it never seems to run.

If you do smear some white markings a tiny bit of WD-40 on a q-tip will remove the white and not disturb the satin black background.

When reassembling the gauges, lens and bezel to the cluster case apply a bit of vaseline to the T-2 & T-4 screws. It really reduces the amount of cracks in the screw holes. And do not overtighten them - they will never back out.

The shadow plate that goes over the gauges and under the lens takes flat trim black paint real well (duplicolor or Sem). and makes the whole job look sharp.

If the plastic lens is not too badly scratched try Meguiars PlastX. It really does work - put some on a buffing pad and strap it to an orbital sander. Do it while you watch TV one night. - it can't smooth out deep scratches but normal hazing caused by years or wiping the dash with paper towels will go away.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good tips there. :waytogo:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks for the tips man!

Im going to run to phoenix in the near future and get a whole new wiring harness and some other parts from a fellow member. Hopefully I can get everything fixed at once so I dont have to keep unplugging the gauge cluster.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Have you played around with this at all dude? :popcorn:

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay so forgive me, it's been a long time since I was trained on a volt meter, and that was very basic training that hasn't been used in years.

If I wanted to test my temp sensor for ohms, how exactly would I need to connect it? Pin on sensor to battery positive or negative? Or something else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76