Front Suspension Rebuild Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieScottsdale

Reaction score
First Name
Zan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Hi all!
My front suspension on my 1986 C10 desperately needs a rebuild.
Is there anything special I need to know before I start? I plan on replacing the control arms, ball joints, castle nuts, and the springs. Are they any special tools other than a spring compressor I need?
Thanks!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Special tool for piece that goes down into where the ball joint goes in I made one out of cheap socket and torqued it to 50lbs

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
And big hub socket

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
This may be newer and 4wd stuff though Google works wonders

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Replace the worn control arm bushings with polyurethane units. They will outlast the rubber and tighten up the front end a lot.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
@87scotty, he won't need any of what you're mentioning. He's doing a 2wd so he don't need the special ball joint tool or the big hub nut socket.

Why are you going to replace your control arms? That will be quite expensive. If they are not wallered out where the bushings go or bent from running things over, then they'll be good as new again just replacing your bushings and ball joints. Control Arms are intended to be non wearing parts. That doesn't mean it can't happen though if someone neglected to replace bushings and just let them hammer on the control arms.

Do keep track of your shims on the upper control arm when you reassemble. Those affect your caster and camber alignment. You'll want to get it aligned afterwards of course, but going back to exactly what it is at now is a great initial setting.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Personally, i buy control arms just to miss out on all the fun that is pressing bushings into the stock ones lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I guess if you've got that kind of scratch laying around. The times I did have to have a control worked on, like lower ball joints in a C20, I took them to the machine shop, had a seat for 15 minutes, and $6 each control arm, Had the old bj's pressed out and new pressed in. Added $12 for machine shop labor was still alot cheaper than buying NEW aftermarket control arms. That's just me though.

But, so now you know they're hard to find, and occasionally people hit stuff in the road, or jump a curb and bend one. Save them old ones out behind the shed in the backyard for if and when someone might need them.

DixieScottsdale

Reaction score
First Name
Zan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.3L V6
Control Arm Replacement

The front right lower control arm needs to be replaced because it was wallered out where the ball joint sits in it. Depending on how much they cost I figured I might as well replace all of the control arms. I will also try to get polyurethane bushings as well.
Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The front right lower control arm needs to be replaced because it was wallered out where the ball joint sits in it. Depending on how much they cost I figured I might as well replace all of the control arms. I will also try to get polyurethane bushings as well.
Thanks!

Yep, then you do indeed need to replace your control arms. Another new member is going through this right now too, except it sounds to me like his control arms are rebuildable. You might look over this thread too and read along. If he doesn't get those Lower Control Arms from Victor, you might be able to get them from him.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=310452#post310452

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody