Are front wheel bearings adjustable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Or does it also get set when you tighten the nut on the front?
^^^^ this

When you tighten the nut you are adding load to both bearing sets because they oppose each other.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If it rocks when you push at 3 and 9 it's tie rods,if it rocks when you push at 12 and 6 it's ball joints. If it rocks at both,it's wheel bearings,or tie rods and ball joints.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Hate to disagree on the interwebs but I’m gonna…

Shot bearings can “clunk” in every direction
I don't see it as a disagreement, I see it as I left that out.
Should be: All directions - bearings or ball joints.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone know how much it costs to have a mechanic do this job? Goofle says $50 - $300.

I'd like to do everything myself, but I don't have a torque wrench to set the bearing pre-load. And I don't trust the rentals when it comes to a torque wrench. It's probably been dropped 100 times. So if the cost of the wrench is cheaper than paying someone to do it, then I'd much rather buy the wrench and do it all myself. These days you can get a good digital torque wrench (Gearwrench brand) for $200.
Never used a torque wrench on traditional wheel bearings ever.
Get em good and snug to take out any slop. They should roll with a bit of interference at this point. Then back off to loose and hand tighten, if no perceptible slop or play and no interference when spinning the wheel like you felt earlier, you’re good.
If you’re between notches to lock it in, hand tight, go tighter rather than looser to lock it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef