Front seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlfuksa

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think I have small seep in the front of my 350..just going from the blow back of oil and where it has puddled a little bit in the cross frame channel...has anyone replaced this seal without pulling the engine??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Both front and rear seals can be replaced with engine in truck.

jlfuksa

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok that's great news, I'm no mechanic so this may be a dumb question, but do I have to drain the oil before I change it out

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This will be a pretty tough job if you have no mechanical experience.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
DO NOT HAMMER the balancer back on. Spend the few dollars and get the installation tool or rent from a parts store. And be careful poking around the crank snout, you don't want to damage the surface and end up with a worse leak then you got now. Also check your crank case breather system for proper operation defective PCV can wreak havoc on seals.

jlfuksa

Reaction score
First Name
jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's been 10+ years since I've owned a carburated vehicle, insert another dumb question.. I've never had a breather cap, just always been standard oil cap on cover....is there any advantage to the breather? This 350 is no hotrod, if I get seal changed, pcv valve replaced, would it be better to just go back with standard cap n ditch the breather?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
With a PCV valve, you need somewhere to draw fresh air from into the crankcase. So, the valve cover on the other side will need an old school breather or a hose running from a valve cover hose nipple to a filter like this inside a stock air cleaner.

You must be registered for see images attach

Even some aftermarket chrome air cleaners have a breather hose nipple on the bottom of the base.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Before you go doing a whole bunch of work take a can of brake cleaner and wash the area of the seal and front of the pan off good then drive it a few times and try to determine the location of the leak. Also check that the oil pan bolts are snug but not too tight. No more than 8 Lbft.

Jerry phillion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Do as MIKE B. Says. Remember, an engine is an air pump.
Your engine has to breathe like your body does. Air in and air out. If it can't', it builds oily crankcase pressure, which has to go someplace, So it goes out past the seals and gets on outside of
Engine. Your seals may be O K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20