Front drive shaft splines showing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brysonsproject

Reaction score
First Name
Bryson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Im installing a 4 inch tough country ez ride lift on my 1978 chevy k20. It has a double cardan 2 piece front driveshaft and after installing the new springs, the splines are barely showing where the drive shaft slides into itself. Is this okay? its moved quite a bit from where it was riding at stock height

Also, I installed the rear springs first and the height to the fender well went from about 36 9/16" to 43 3/4". Basically 7 inches of lift??? Could this be because the old rear springs were so fatigued that they lost 2 or 3 inches and the ones I just put in aren't relaxed yet? I've heard that with a 4 inch lift, I shouldn't have to do any work lengthening the drive shafts, but from all this lift, I''m worried I might have to. Anyone encountered this before? Also thinking I might have to check to make sure they sent me the right springs based on their part number.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
4 inch rough country lift, put 30,000 on it, didn't have the splines rebuilt the first time because it didn't need it. They need it now.

So I had my front shaft lengthened 2 inches, I would say it's a half inch too long about, maybe just 1/4. It still clears just fine, I just fear with the right flex and then a good compression on that side it may bottom out. But I've had no issues in a couple thousand miles since I had my other shaft lengthened.

When I do it again I'll probably just do an inch and a half, for a four inch lift. Long story short, you'll be okay, but for longevity I would lengthen it. I paid like 280 for a full rebuilt shaft and lengthened.

Also yes the springs tend to sag quite a bit, my suburban is around 4-5 inches lower in the rear because of the leafs sagging.

Also don't mind that paint mark, that's not how much it actually travels
You must be registered for see images attach

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
Im installing a 4 inch tough country ez ride lift on my 1978 chevy k20. It has a double cardan 2 piece front driveshaft and after installing the new springs, the splines are barely showing where the drive shaft slides into itself. Is this okay? its moved quite a bit from where it was riding at stock height

Also, I installed the rear springs first and the height to the fender well went from about 36 9/16" to 43 3/4". Basically 7 inches of lift??? Could this be because the old rear springs were so fatigued that they lost 2 or 3 inches and the ones I just put in aren't relaxed yet? I've heard that with a 4 inch lift, I shouldn't have to do any work lengthening the drive shafts, but from all this lift, I'm worried I might have to. Anyone encountered this before? Also thinking I might have to check to make sure they sent me the right springs based on their part number.
Had the same issue with my 84 burb when I lifted it. I ended up taking my front shaft in and having it lengthened. If you run it too long in 4 wheel with it not fully "seated" it can eventually waste the splines. As for the rear springs. they do get fatigued and will lose height, that sounds like a lot though. I always replace all four and lengthen the front shaft whenever I do a lift on a 4x4

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you torque the front spring hanger and shackle bolts with weight on the front end? If not, that may be part of your excessive lift amount.

As for the shaft, you'll want to make sure it's at least long enough not to come apart when the RF wheel goes to full droop. Jack up the LF wheel (by lifting under the axle) until the RF wheel starts to lift from the ground, then see if the front yoke on the shaft can still reach the yoke on the diff. If it can, install it and grab the shaft tube near the splines and see if it has a bunch of slop in it. If so, the shaft will not live long at all without being lengthened.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Depends one the use. If you need your 4wd only sometimes in winter or on dirt roads you could leave it as it is.
If you drive offroad a lot lengthen it. my 0.02$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507