Front End Alignment???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
anyone had their square aligned or done one themselves on a alignment rack? I was at work(garage) and want to have my 84 c10 lined up soon so I checked for specs and they are there except there are like 10 different ones for a 1984 c10 shortbed with only a code haying like h4 or h5 or something like that and I have no idea where to decipher what this means lol so if anyone has some experience with this it would help a lot, thanks BTW alignment setup id hofmann if it helps

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
anyone had their square aligned or done one themselves on a alignment rack? I was at work(garage) and want to have my 84 c10 lined up soon so I checked for specs and they are there except there are like 10 different ones for a 1984 c10 shortbed with only a code haying like h4 or h5 or something like that and I have no idea where to decipher what this means lol so if anyone has some experience with this it would help a lot, thanks BTW alignment setup id hofmann if it helps

The 1984 service manual only shows one set of specs for all C10's:

You must be registered for see images attach

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
what manual is that? Haynes or chiltons? I will check some of the options for the c10 short wheelbase to see if all toe caster, camber, sai, and thrust angle are the same. if so I guess it wont matter then. btw thanks for the pics of specs, wish I had seen the a while ago lol

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm trying to make sense of caster chart because there are 11 different measurements from 2 1/2" to 5" called "dimension A". what is this dimension referring to? looks like it is pointing to the coil spring lol

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
what manual is that? Haynes or chiltons? I will check some of the options for the c10 short wheelbase to see if all toe caster, camber, sai, and thrust angle are the same. if so I guess it wont matter then. btw thanks for the pics of specs, wish I had seen the a while ago lol

Those specs are from the 1984 GMC factory Service Manual. Maybe the attached dwgs & text will help make what they are saying clearer.

First the text:

A better dwg of how to determine dimension "A":

An exploded view:

Where to add/remove shims to adjust caster & camber:

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey thanks a lot man. I now understand the caster measurement and what the numbers are. when I looked at the specs at work it did not specify what to measure so I was clueless lol. now is the decision of changing all control arm bushings to polyurethane as well as all leaf shackle bushings and tie rods or not lol. my luck the originals will go as soon as its aligned

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I'm trying to make sense of caster chart because there are 11 different measurements from 2 1/2" to 5" called "dimension A". what is this dimension referring to? looks like it is pointing to the coil spring lol
"Dimension A" is a reference to ride height.. The lower your truck sits, the shorter this dimension. The higher it sits, the longer the dimension. In some cases with lowered trucks, camber is a compromise as there isn't enough adjustment range to obtain the specified setting... Camber varies as the suspension moves through it's travel range.. There is an order to adjusting the settings as any change in caster or camber affects the other two. Set caster first, then camber, and lastly toe in/out...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen