fitech install om 77 c10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Then why are you worried about gas sloshing in the main tank, I don't get it???

What im saying is that if the main tank falls below a certain amount of gallons, its starts to lose pressure to supply the surge tank

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What im saying is that if the main tank falls below a certain amount of gallons, its starts to lose pressure to supply the surge tank
Hmmm, I don't get the pressure thing, electric injector pump goes in the surge tank and all you do is keep the surge tank full, you do that with any ole stock street pump either mechanical or electric, then if the injector pump takes a **** just pop the top off and change the pump and be on your way, keep a spare and change it on the road if need be..

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hmmm, I don't get the pressure thing, electric injector pump goes in the surge tank and all you do is keep the surge tank full, you do that with any ole stock street pump either mechanical or electric, then if the injector pump takes a **** just pop the top off and change the pump and be on your way, keep a spare and change it on the road if need be..

i dont get it either. im wondering if our trucks come with a vented gas cap. Fitech tech telling me to get a vented gas cap

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size

I plan to take the existing distributor, coil, plug wires, and holly carb off of mine, add a mech fuel pump, and electric fuel pump, some hose, clamps, wire, butt/ring splices, etc. and put them in a box to keep in the truck so that when I'm way off in the stix and one of these electronic devices (HEI, TBI, etc) devices just takes a crap, I can go back to the non electronic devices on the side of a dirt road and get home...

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i dont get it either. im wondering if our trucks come with a vented gas cap. Fitech tech telling me to get a vented gas cap
If it came with a charcoal canister it had a sealed cap, if not it would be vented.. They're telling you to get a vented cap because your main tank is not part of the system anymore, it just feeds the system now and the main tank still has to be vented.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I plan to take the existing distributor, coil, plug wires, and holly carb off of mine, add a mech fuel pump, and electric fuel pump, some hose, clamps, wire, butt/ring splices, etc. and put them in a box to keep in the truck so that when I'm way off in the stix and one of these electronic devices (HEI, TBI, etc) devices just takes a crap, I can go back to the non electronic devices on the side of a dirt road and get home...
There ya go...:waytogo: :D

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
There ya go...:waytogo: :D

That's one of the reasons I 'love' the Fuel Commander concept!

Just unplug the in and the out, couple them together, slap on the carb, hook up the fuel line, the linkage, and go home...

As soon as I go with an in the tank (or on the rail) Hi Pressure FI pump, I lose that ability to do a quick 'revert and go' to get home!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's one of the reasons I 'love' the Fuel Commander concept!

Just unplug the in and the out, couple them together, slap on the carb, hook up the fuel line, the linkage, and go home...

As soon as I go with an in the tank (or on the rail) Hi Pressure FI pump, I lose that ability to do a quick 'revert and go' to get home!
Well, that's what I was saying about a real surge tank, the hi pressure pump is in the surge tank not the main tank, so if it takes a crap all you do is pop the top and change pumps and you're good to go. Personally I don't want anything to do with that stuff, that way I don't have to worry about getting home :D.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, that's what I was saying about a real surge tank, the hi pressure pump is in the surge tank not the main tank, so if it takes a crap all you do is pop the top and change pumps and you're good to go. Personally I don't want anything to do with that stuff, that way I don't have to worry about getting home :D.

The extra 4 or 5 mpg and auto jetting when driving up and down the mountain are enough for me to want it.. not to mention the nice reliable, easy start ups when it's 10 degrees out.. ;)

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wonder if a fuel commander can be 'made' on the cheap from a donor FI pump from a late model GM and a surge tank?

Wonder if such a tank already exists? :shrug:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Quick internet search, says there's all kinds of ways to do this... Saw one where somebody modified a small nitrous tank.. another guy used a remote oil filter for it... Added bonus is the built in filter.. :)

Does the FiTech unit come with a built in pressure regulator, or is that part of the Fuel Commander, or is it something that has to be bought and installed by itself?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can have that 10* stuff, lol. :D..

Sure it can, that's what I was trying to tell ya, somebody even makes one but I can't remember who it is, I had a pic of it but I don't remember where I put it, I'll have to take another look. It's the same principal as a mechanical injector surge tank, except the high pressure pump is in the surge tank, you fill the tank with with the factory mechanical pump, and the return goes to the surge tank very simple, you can even make one yourself it's not hard.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can have that 10* stuff, lol. :D..

Sure it can, that's what I was trying to tell ya, somebody even makes one but I can't remember who it is, I had a pic of it but I don't remember where I put it, I'll have to take another look. It's the same principal as a mechanical injector surge tank, except the high pressure pump is in the surge tank, you fill the tank with with the factory mechanical pump, and the return goes to the surge tank very simple, you can even make one yourself it's not hard.

Cool.. This could save me yet another couple hundred bucks or more...
:cheers:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
How big does the tank need to be to have an adequate supply of fuel?
Could one that holds 1/4 to 1/2 gallon be big enough?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, a gal is plenty I think that one you can buy is only a gal. Now it's gonna bug me, guess I gotta find out who makes it, lol..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1