Finally got the 4l60e in the Suburban..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd like to se Pops come back and give his opinion on the plugs too. As far as warming it up, you can actually let it idle and warm the fluid. The radiator cooler actually works as a warmer too. As the coolant gets hot, it will eventually warm the fluid. Of course this time of year, idiling may not let it get it to hot in Wisconsin. You could let it idle for about an hour. Run it through all the gears with the gear shift lever to make sure you've opened up all the channels as it idles a couple times too. Once the fluid is warmed, take it for a couple mile ride and get it even warmer. That oughta take care of the vaseline issue.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Well, I did let it dle for a while the first day, I discovered a leak and had to tighten it up while it was running, to be sure it was not gonna leak, I left it run, it was warmed up enough to lower the idle speed, but yeah, around here, if you don't put cardboard in front of your radiator, it never stays warmed up.

It's been below freezing since I put it in, so I have my doubts, plus when I took the servo out, there was still gelled up vasilene in the seals..

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I'd like to se Pops come back and give his opinion on the plugs too. As far as warming it up, you can actually let it idle and warm the fluid. The radiator cooler actually works as a warmer too. As the coolant gets hot, it will eventually warm the fluid. Of course this time of year, idiling may not let it get it to hot in Wisconsin. You could let it idle for about an hour. Run it through all the gears with the gear shift lever to make sure you've opened up all the channels as it idles a couple times too. Once the fluid is warmed, take it for a couple mile ride and get it even warmer. That oughta take care of the vaseline issue.

Well, I did let it dle for a while the first day, I discovered a leak and had to tighten it up while it was running, to be sure it was not gonna leak, I left it run, it was warmed up enough to lower the idle speed, but yeah, around here, if you don't put cardboard in front of your radiator, it never stays warmed up.

It's been below freezing since I put it in, so I have my doubts, plus when I took the servo out, there was still gelled up vasilene in the seals..

Well Damn I was hoping you would already have this thing running.

Sorry to say I have been out of town for the last 4 days, I am even sorrier to say where I was after seeing where your from. I spent the last few days at the chula vist resort in the wisconsin dells. Had I realized where you were from before I could have brought my computer with me and helped you out a ,little easier.

As far as the valve goes. It depends on which way the leak is, if its leeking thru the valve then it would more then likely cause a "hunting" condition, If it is leaking thru the plug then it could cause a no 4th.

You should NEVER have to use pliars to remove the plugs, simply pushing them in repeadently will eventually let them pop out.
As hotrod already said you should be able to let it idle to melt the vasoline, In the colder temperatures it will require longer idling times, you may even have to remove the fan belt to allow it to reach operating temeratures.

Another thing you can do there is put some vasoline in an old pan on the stove, with a thermometer in it you can monitor just how hot it needs to be to beome a liquid state.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Well Damn I was hoping you would already have this thing running.

Sorry to say I have been out of town for the last 4 days, I am even sorrier to say where I was after seeing where your from. I spent the last few days at the chula vist resort in the wisconsin dells. Had I realized where you were from before I could have brought my computer with me and helped you out a ,little easier.

As far as the valve goes. It depends on which way the leak is, if its leeking thru the valve then it would more then likely cause a "hunting" condition, If it is leaking thru the plug then it could cause a no 4th.

You should NEVER have to use pliars to remove the plugs, simply pushing them in repeadently will eventually let them pop out.
As hotrod already said you should be able to let it idle to melt the vasoline, In the colder temperatures it will require longer idling times, you may even have to remove the fan belt to allow it to reach operating temeratures.

Another thing you can do there is put some vasoline in an old pan on the stove, with a thermometer in it you can monitor just how hot it needs to be to beome a liquid state.

Well, it'd have been another couple 3-4 hours out of your way to come help me out, thanks for thinking that way though!

Yeah, this is why I was thinking the plug may be leaking, I have a book that shows the hydraulic operation of the valve body in each gear, color coded, etc, and I looked at this particular valve, and the pressure pushes against the plug, to move the valve deeper into the bore, which in turn provides pressure feed directly to the 4th gear servo. To me, if that plug were leaking enough to not allow the hydraulic pressure to over come the spring force, there would never be anything applied to the servo, thus keeping it in 3rd gear.

If that is it, I can drop the pan, get the $8 oring'ed plug, and slap it in there!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Well, it'd have been another couple 3-4 hours out of your way to come help me out, thanks for thinking that way though!

Yeah, this is why I was thinking the plug may be leaking, I have a book that shows the hydraulic operation of the valve body in each gear, color coded, etc, and I looked at this particular valve, and the pressure pushes against the plug, to move the valve deeper into the bore, which in turn provides pressure feed directly to the 4th gear servo. To me, if that plug were leaking enough to not allow the hydraulic pressure to over come the spring force, there would never be anything applied to the servo, thus keeping it in 3rd gear.

If that is it, I can drop the pan, get the $8 oring'ed plug, and slap it in there!

You are correct. HOWEVER I would still reccomend to verify that the computer is even commanding a 4th gear operation. No since in dropping the pan if its not commanding.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Well, I am pretty excited to report that it is working now! I finally got some plates on the thing so I could actually drive it without worrying about mr. lawman assaulting me with a SWAT team or something..

So I drove it to my dad's place (about 10 miles away) and it wasn't shifting still, so, in frustration, I decided at a stop sign to really stomp on it, and give'er something to complain about if I was gonna have to pull the tranny out again, I would give myself a good reason to. (logic isn't always sound when I am frustrated) so I get to my dad's place and tell him that it still isn't working, hanging my head, and being all upset, took some time to putz with my cousin's new ATV gocart thing, and hang out with my nephews & neices who are staying at my dad's this week, and eventually head home..

Not expecting any results, I am driving along, and feel a soft 4th shift, barely discernable, but there nonetheless! At the stop sign I give it a bit to see if it will firm up, and sure enough this time, it is a nice firm 4th shift, and the next stop sign I didn't give it so much throttle, drove it normal, and I felt every shift, nice and smooth, and then even felt lock up! I am now pretty convinced I must've just slathered a bit too much vasilene in it and it took a while to work it out of it!

I am so happy! This is awesome, tranny's are such a black box to so many, for me this is a life accomplishment! The fact that I could take it all apart, diagnose, and put it together, and it works!! Now, I have you guys to thank for advise and tips, etc, thank you so much! Once I get out from under this project, next is my Harley, then I can get to working on my '77 cab welding project!! Long time coming, but I WILL get to it!!! I have my work cut out for me, but I think I will start with pulling the gas tanks, and get after it with the welder!! Pics will follow!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's great news. Hope it stays that way, and I have a feeling it will. Could have either been the vaseline, or a lodged valve that was able to finally work free. This is why I tell people to never panic til you can get a good 50-100 miles on a trans. Sometimes, they will have a delay going into reverse, or things of that nature, but those things may very well, and most of the time, do work themselves out within the first few heat ups and use of the trans.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear that it's shifting. Someday i'd like to try rebuilding an auto trans. Their a lot of money to be saved by doing it yourself..........well, as long as you do it right the first time, lol.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Good to hear, Just remember your service intervals, ESPECIALLY the first one since so much vaseline was used.

500 miles for the first service (filter and fluid) then EVERY 12,000 miles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benn95