Favorite tool brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a collectione left is of craftsman before they moved to China
But they moved to China and didn’t lower the price so why buy them now ?
Most of my hand tools and a lot of my power tools are Craftsman. They just announced that our local store is closing, so I went up there to replace a couple of broken pieces. Even though they are not scheduled to close for a couple of months, they have already shipped out most of their tools, and all they have left are a few odd pieces. Really sucks, since the next nearest Sears is probably 350 miles away.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Forgot the quote

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Most of my hand tools and a lot of my power tools are Craftsman. They just announced that our local store is closing, so I went up there to replace a couple of broken pieces. Even though they are not scheduled to close for a couple of months, they have already shipped out most of their tools, and all they have left are a few odd pieces. Really sucks, since the next nearest Sears is probably 350 miles away.
And Kame apart (Kmart) is worthless lol I want to say Ace may sell Craftsman

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
They were talking about this quite a bit on garage journal. I can't recall who bought the rights to the craftsman name. I was thinking it was one of the big box stores, but could be mistaken.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
They were talking about this quite a bit on garage journal. I can't recall who bought the rights to the craftsman name. I was thinking it was one of the big box stores, but could be mistaken.
Stanley so it will be everywhere lol only made from chinesium

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

The last time I was in an Ace here, they had them. Kinda suprised me. I was thinking it was like Kobalt. Not sure though, and it's too early to look it up.... Lol

Edit: Oh. I see it's Stanley....

Last edited:

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I have a lot of older Craftsman tools. Stanley bought Craftsman last March so I fear Honkey Kong Jr is right... they will soon be made of Chinesium or are right now.

Husky is owned by Home Depot. Rumor is they are made by APEX.

Kobalt are made by Williams for Lowes. Most if not all of them are made right here in the states... Or they were as recently as 2016...

The Kobalt and Husky tools from the Borg are at least as good as the more recent pre-merger Craftsman tools. They have the same warranty. I have yet to break any ratchets, sockets, or box-end wrenches but the rumor is that exchanges aren't too difficult. The Kobalt ratchets are easier on the hands than my old square handle Craftsmans.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm not sure how far you'll get these days without getting some schooling on these cars. I went the self taught direction, and honestly, the technology has got to a point where the guys who studied the stuff in a trade school, or where ever kind of had a leg up on the whole electrical understanding. With everything using can-bus communication on board these days, if you don't have a solid grasp of how it works, and what voltages to expect where, your definitely at a deficit.
This, I went to school 2 years for heavy duty ag diesel, there's more wires in new tractors than cars, everything is controlled electronically now, even the 18 speed hydraulic transmissions, although I work on mostly trailers for a fleet, the electrical knowledge i have is worth it just because I can troubleshoot the systems without back probing wires, and hacking the 50ft wirelooms of 100 wires where 50 are black and 50 are white in the trucks, def, egr, dpf, they have to hold classes monthly because these change quickly, you can't just get a job in any shop anymore and be trained by the lead tech, there's so much stuff to learn that they will pick a degree over a diploma, because it's alot less training, my degree got me in my work over guys with 5 years experience, because they have been out of the field longer than a year, and the stuff they knew was already outdated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This, I went to school 2 years for heavy duty ag diesel, there's more wires in new tractors than cars, everything is controlled electronically now, even the 18 speed hydraulic transmissions, although I work on mostly trailers for a fleet, the electrical knowledge i have is worth it just because I can troubleshoot the systems without back probing wires, and hacking the 50ft wirelooms of 100 wires where 50 are black and 50 are white in the trucks, def, egr, dpf, they have to hold classes monthly because these change quickly, you can't just get a job in any shop anymore and be trained by the lead tech, there's so much stuff to learn that they will pick a degree over a diploma, because it's alot less training, my degree got me in my work over guys with 5 years experience, because they have been out of the field longer than a year, and the stuff they knew was already outdated

Look up a wiring diagram for a Neoplan bus......that’s what I started on.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Look up a wiring diagram for a Neoplan bus......that’s what I started on.
You should see the one for 2018 peterbilt, or Volvo, they don't show any safety systems or elog wiring either

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I was thinking about getting into diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man