engine bogs and dies when givin gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys quick question i got a 355 in my K20 and its completly rebuilt. 600 cfm edelbrock card, stock HEI dis. new plugs and wires.

When i start the truck and let it warm up i can slowly give it gas and it doesnt cut out imeditly but if you give it a quick shot of the pedel it bogs and dies. its never done this before. i cant drive the truck due to not time yet way to much to do before i even consider it on the road.

Im 20 and in highschool boces they never taught us on carbs so im always learning my doing. so i hope some one can help me.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
No poping or back firing?

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
kinda.. its just werid i ran it like 2 weeks ago and it didnt do this but now it is. maybe the plugs flouled? or carb off? im not sure

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
First guess would be fuel pump not delivering sufficient pressure, is it new since the rebuild? Also check for plugged fuel filter(s).

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
First guess would be fuel pump not delivering sufficient pressure, is it new since the rebuild? Also check for plugged fuel filter(s).

Thats exactly what I was thinking dude, were on the same wavelength.:roflbow:

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i just cleaned it a month ago and its a brand new fuel pump

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you are sure you have good fuel pressure maybe its time to look into a carb rebuild. If you are in the dark about your carb I just rebuilt mine and did a write up in the tech section.

DesertBob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350M/LT9
With the engine off do you see gas squirt into the carb when you open the linkage? If not your accelerator pump is bad and the carb needs to be rebuilt.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
don't think edelbrock has an accelerator pump do they?

However I hear tons says they are picky on pressure, might need a press. reg. to run it and keep it right. I never have though and never had any problems.

I am thinking the carb though, maybe dirty or needs tuned. Look around online for an edelbrock tuning guide/manual, you might need to change the metering rods and springs or one of the 2 etc.

That and making sure the timing is right are a definate. Do you know what your base timing is? have you tried both vac. ports to see if it makes a difference between the two?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
don't think edelbrock has an accelerator pump do they?
Mine does, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM model #1406. The accelerator pump arm has 3 holes so you can adjust the throw of the pump arm. The top hole makes a shorter throw and pumps less fuel. The bottom hole give the most throw and dumps the most fuel. I think from factory it should be in the middle hole. You may want to check and see if the linkage for it came loose. You may also want to take the top off and clean the fuel rail in the carb real good, mine got really gunked up last year. This will allow you to see if the secondaries are plugged, something floating around in the bowls that shouldn't be there or some kind of obstruction in the primaries. Apply air pressure to the secondaries to clear them, applying air to the primaries also clears the idle circuit.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ohh yea my bad I remember that thing. Where do you apply air to clear that junk out? my brother in laws is acting up due to bad gas. I was gonna yank it, clean it, and rebuild it but if I can get by faster and cheaper that'd be nice.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
With the engine off do you see gas squirt into the carb when you open the linkage? If not your accelerator pump is bad and the carb needs to be rebuilt.

This is my guess. Accelerator Pump. Yes, Eddy's, or Carter AFBs do have an accelerator pump. If you can start off very gradual, an no problem, but then you stab it and it bogs or dies, Acc Pump is #1 to be suspect.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
This is my guess. Accelerator Pump. Yes, Eddy's, or Carter AFBs do have an accelerator pump. If you can start off very gradual, an no problem, but then you stab it and it bogs or dies, Acc Pump is #1 to be suspect.

You must be registered for see images attach

A is the plunger. **** I have an extra one somewhere, I could just mail it to you and save buying a rebuild kit.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
....Im 20 and in highschool boces they never taught us on carbs.....
Does that sentence make some you feel old? :Moon:

I read that and was like, damn. That took me back to auto shop in tech school. Amazing how things change in 20 years...

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
ohh yea my bad I remember that thing. Where do you apply air to clear that junk out? my brother in laws is acting up due to bad gas. I was gonna yank it, clean it, and rebuild it but if I can get by faster and cheaper that'd be nice.

You know how an air gun for your compressor has a little rubber tip? Some pull off and you can put a vacuum hose on the end. Cut the end of the hose nice and square so when you place it against the secondary and primary jets in the bottom of the carb it seals good on them. throw a rag over the carb before you hit the trigger though, even if you clean the gas out of the bowls gas will still fly everywhere. I turned my back as well to try and protect my eyes and face.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP