Electric fuel pump help. What gph I be running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph_siller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i have a 73 small block 350 with a 4 barrel carb on it nothing special done to the motor but I'm thinking maybe down the road I will possibly maybe Make some more power out of it so does anyone have any suggestions for electric fuel pumps. I was told to run a Holley mighty might that says is good up to 400hp but the flow rate is very low. It's a 34 gph. I'm looking to get a pump with a regulator already built in

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
i have a 73 small block 350 with a 4 barrel carb on it nothing special done to the motor but I'm thinking maybe down the road I will possibly maybe Make some more power out of it so does anyone have any suggestions for electric fuel pumps. I was told to run a Holley mighty might that says is good up to 400hp but the flow rate is very low. It's a 34 gph. I'm looking to get a pump with a regulator already built in
Holley red pump. You won't need a regulator with that one. Just make sure it's set to push fuel they don't like pulling fuel. That's why they get a bad rap and fail prematurely. That's what I have on mine but I welded a sump into my tank.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I am using a Carter p4070 and it's been flawless. Been a couple years now and it's still going, more than I can say for all the mechanical pumps I tried. 72 gph at a nice low pressure for carbs, no regulator needed. Carter also has a 100 gph version.
Has pretty good reviews on summit too https://m.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just as info, for a small block motor using an electric fuel pump/EFI system (or a mechanical pump/carb system) GM specs capacity at 8 oz/15 secs.

8 X 4 = 32 ounces per min. 32 oz X 60 min = 1920 oz per hour.

1920 / 128 ounces per gallon = 15 gallons per hour

Pressure is specified at 9 -13 psi.

BTW - The factor that most limits the amount of power that an engine can generate is the rate of airflow through the engine - that includes the intake and exhaust system. Unless the capacity of the intake/exhaust systems have been augmented, supplying the engine with a greater quantity of fuel is not generally required - or desirable. Or so I've been told.

Last edited:

roadracerga

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Summit racing has a carter fuel pump designed to be run with a mechanical fuel pump also great price you will have to run a regulator before the carb pop will last forever if you follow installation instructions

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Summit racing has a carter fuel pump designed to be run with a mechanical fuel pump also great price you will have to run a regulator before the carb pop will last forever if you follow installation instructions

The only risk I've heard with running both electric and mechanical pumps is that if the diaphram in the mech ruptures you can flood your crankcase with gas.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If it ruptures it can't pump gas, how is gas going to get into the crankcase.:D

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Them little fuel pumps as described in the first post are cheap for a reason.......they are crap. Those are good for tractors and go karts. Maybe a 4cyl. but be sure to carry a spare for when it fails not if when. I liked my Aeromotive I had on my Audi but they are a bit salty. The Holley Red served me well and would you as well as long as it's installed properly they are like baby's they need to be fed if you make them feed themselves they will starve and die. Or go with a good mechanical. Carter,Holley or Eddy make good pumps remember you get what you pay for.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've NEVER had a "good" mechanical fail either factory or aftermarket, I've had a couple leak oil through the weep hole but never failed to pump fuel..

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
If it ruptures it can't pump gas, how is gas going to get into the crankcase.:D

I'm abit late on the response but I was referring to when people run an electric and mechanical fuel pump in series. The electric keeps forcing gas into the mechanical after it has ruptured.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm abit late on the response but I was referring to when people run an electric and mechanical fuel pump in series. The electric keeps forcing gas into the mechanical after it has ruptured.
Oh ok gotcha..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm