Detroit Lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So i'm fairly positive i will be locking my FF14B soon with a detroit but i have came across a used detroit locker for my D44 front axle. My questions are...Is it worth it? The used locker is $300...will it pay off in the long run or is it just a waste of time? the truck is mostly a mud truck that will see some trail and some road time. also, what do i look for to tell the conidition of a used locker? thanks

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Lockers are not a waste of time. Is it a full carrier locker or a slip-in unit like a Lock-Right?

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
im not really sure of the difference..im pretty new to this stuff. this is the picture

You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's the complete carrier type. You will have to remove your ring gear from your current carrier and put it on that, then set up your gears all over again. The slip-in lockers go inside the open diff with not much fuss. I've never been in one before but more than likely it will have a cross, 2 couplers and a pair of springs. It is a much heavier duty unit over the slip-in style with the small pins and springs. The insides should look essentially like this one...
http://completeoffroad.com/i-123009-detroit-locker-14-bolt-corp-det225s-10.html

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If it's in good condition it's well worth getting.

That said, those "wipe" marks on the side under the bolts look like the pinion hit it at some point so I'd assume it's been through a catastrophic failure. Like I said, if it's good it's worth getting but I'd only buy it after taking it apart and inspecting the internals. If you're not sure or comfortable doing that find a friend that will.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That does not appear to be in good shape IMO. If it were me, I'd pass on that for sure, and go for the one Grease Dog has for sale here. And I'll shoot myself for it later cuz I wanted it, but who the hell knows when I'd come up with the funds. And it's BRAND NEW, so it's well worth the $350. His is the type you split your current carrier, and replace the spiders with the Detroit Locker.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2944

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
yes i am very interested in his but i have to wait until im back from college before I buy anything. The one i posted the picture of is for my front axle. what other types/styles of lockers should i look into for my front axle?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The one you posted a picture of looks like it is for a 14 bolt full floater rear, from the 2 crosspins and split-carrier design.

86chev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
well from the sounds of it i should just avoid that one. any suggestions on a budget friendly front locker?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A slip-in style is the cheapest, easiest alternative. You just take out the crosspin, spider gears and side gears (after you pull the axleshafts out a little from the side gears first) and put this in, no need to re-set up your ring & pinion, no need to press on new carrier bearings (I noticed the one above didnt have bearings on it). Main thing is to try to keep it under 350 HP or you might shear the pins, which aint a big deal, you can order new pins/springs for cheap, the front will just work like an open diff till you get it fixed. This Spartan locker is budget-priced...
http://completeoffroad.com/i-1401004-spartan-locker-30-spline-sl-d44-30.html
EDIT hell you may not even need to pull the axleshafts out any, check that video out.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
The 14ff Detroit is not a full carrier locker, it replaces the spider gears and cross shaft.

Absolutely not a waste of time, the one I have just doesn't fit my use for the truck, so it is for sale. Not a used locker at all. Never even been in gear oil. Since my truck will be used as a plow truck, the Detroit its a bit too aggressive. I'll be using a factory g80 in mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey