Dead 700R4 - Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I took a peak at their website.... what stage did you have? And what motor/tires and use did you put it through? (I want to compare components)

HotRodPC - I'm glad you joined on this thread, based on my other readings around here you are the transmission authority here. What do you think of the build sheet components for the L2 700R4:

stage 1, TPI 350,3.42 with 31's

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
A CORE, as in a complete unit that can be rebuilt. You know when you buy an alterantor, you have a Core charge? You take the old one back, you get a refund of the Core Charge.

oh i see thanks. i dont really have the time to put it in, or the cash to invest in something that will just sit around....

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ahhh, Brain Fart, Just as I hit Submit on the last post, I remembered, Gman or G-Man Transmisisons. I think he's another big one on eBay. Check into those guys and see what you find out.

I really need to get my **** together and start building 700r4's and 4L60-E's. I could make a good living just doing those 2 models cuz there are a ton of them on the road today. They're not the strogest transmission out there is my biggest fear, and If I put my name on the something, I don't want failures and I don't have all that much faith in 700r4's, not at those price points anyway. Even for my own 700r4, it's going to be $700 alone for the upgrades and parts I want in it, and lots of extra labor. Probably a $2500 transmission by the time I get done with it.

You want me to be your first customer? Hah. As for $2,500 700R4s that is what Pro-Built seems to charge. They seem to have the spotless rep, but I can't shell out that kind of cash on my POS truck.

As for G-Men, I read that some of these guys are from 06-07 when Mad-Dog slashed his workforce. Other than that (which could be a rumor) I can't find any info on them. If I'm going to go with someone with limited feedback I might as well go local.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You wouldn't be his first customer by a long shot lol

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
just curious why would someone pay thousands of dollars to rebuild a 700r4 when MUCH cheaper used th400s or 4l80Es can be had? once again i am a trans noob..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
just curious why would someone pay thousands of dollars to rebuild a 700r4 when MUCH cheaper used th400s or 4l80Es can be had? once again i am a trans noob..

Overdrive.

When the trans went south in the Burb, it was winter and I didn't want to pull it out and install it again. At the time, the average prices I was finding for a built 700r4 was $1700. I called a local trustworthy trans shop that I've dealt with many times before and got a quote of $1700 to pull the trans, build it up with good stuff, stick a HD convertor in it, reseal the t-case, put it back in the truck and give me a 2 year warranty to boot. I thought that was a sweet deal and I went for it. Although it did end up being 2K, because I had them do other things while they were working on the truck.

Now to swap in a 4l80E, the average core was a few hundred bucks, plus the cost of rebuild, the controller for the trans, finding a different t-case, and having both shafts redone. Big $$. The good used trans with a warranty from the junkyard was $1500 or so, and it's still used. And still big $$.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I just ordered up the following transmission:

ShiftRite Transmissions 700R4 Performance
STAGE I

Raybestos Z-Pack Upgraded ¾ Clutch Pack
Alto Wide Carbon Lined Power Band
Beast Sun Shell
TransGo Unbreakable Hardened Pump Vane Ring Kit
Corvette Servo
Sonnax Teflon Coated Rear Stator Bushing
0.500" Boost and 0.300" Reverse Boost Valves
Dual Cage Borg Warner Front Sprag

Now I need to address the cooling system. I know I need to flush the cooling system completely. I'm thinking an additional trans cooler is a good idea? Anybody installed one of those?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Now I need to address the cooling system. I know I need to flush the cooling system completely. I'm thinking an additional trans cooler is a good idea? Anybody installed one of those?

Yarp, I run 2 external coolers, in line with the radiator cooler.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yarp, I run 2 external coolers, in line with the radiator cooler.

What size/type of cooler did you use? Any pics of the install? I'm wondering if I need to fab up a bracket or something to mount in in front of the stock radiator on the passenger side.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What size/type of cooler did you use? Any pics of the install? I'm wondering if I need to fab up a bracket or something to mount in in front of the stock radiator on the passenger side.

My burb is 350 miles away.
My 86 came from the factory with a supplimental cooler as part of the towing package. Then, when I ordered my raptor from Don, they had a special going where they were sending a free cooler(i think mine is a 4 seasons) and T shirt. The cooler came with hoses and clamps, so i hooked it up to the outlet on the oem external cooler, and the other end to the trans return line.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Overdrive.

When the trans went south in the Burb, it was winter and I didn't want to pull it out and install it again. At the time, the average prices I was finding for a built 700r4 was $1700. I called a local trustworthy trans shop that I've dealt with many times before and got a quote of $1700 to pull the trans, build it up with good stuff, stick a HD convertor in it, reseal the t-case, put it back in the truck and give me a 2 year warranty to boot. I thought that was a sweet deal and I went for it. Although it did end up being 2K, because I had them do other things while they were working on the truck.

Now to swap in a 4l80E, the average core was a few hundred bucks, plus the cost of rebuild, the controller for the trans, finding a different t-case, and having both shafts redone. Big $$. The good used trans with a warranty from the junkyard was $1500 or so, and it's still used. And still big $$.

oh i thought it could drop in since its really just an electric overdrive th400. other than the controller atleast

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I like that kit. Notice they don't use the Kevlar Band, They name the Beast Sunshell, so you know it's not a knock off if they really put it in and it's in their best interest to do so. The sunshell breaking is #1 failure, 3-4 Clutch pack is #2 failure, and they've addressed that with the Z Pak. Vette Servo, not harsh Billet although the Billet doesn't scare me much. You can fine tune the TV calbe to bring the harsh down a bit with a tab bit earlier shift, but then when you get it on it say mid throttle, get a firmer shift. You'll like the Vette Servo though.

Some guys list stuff like Hardened Plants and Kevlar to sound impressive. As said, Kevlar does hold stronger, but it's for racing when you EXPECT to be freshening up a transmisison after so many passes down the track, not for daily driver that you want 150,000 miles out of. Kevlar holds good, but wears out faster. Also tends to chew off part of the drum it's holding so now you'd have more servo travel and slower shift cuz the band has to be compressed even further. And where are those little tiny shavings going? In your fluid. Kevlar IS GOOD stuff. But it's to good for a daily driver. Don't impressed by it for a DD transmission. Like the 13 and 10 vane pump rotors. More IS NOT better.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd ADD whatever size cooler you can fit. They can mount as easy as what looks like zip ties. Most come with those for install. I like some kind of rubber bushing between the radiator and cooler, even if it requires cutting up an old bicycle inner tube and make your own. But, do use it as an ADD on, and DO NOT bypass the radiator cooler. The radiator cooler works better for cooling, and it also works for warming up your transmission in cold weather winters.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
oh i thought it could drop in since its really just an electric overdrive th400. other than the controller atleast

If that were the case EVERYONE would be running a 4L80-E. However, you do have that the option to run the 4L80-E with a Full Manual Valve Body. Harsh shifting and NO Auto features at all whatsover. You have to have to shift it manually, just like it says. Upshift , Downshift when you come to a stop and all. Just like a manual trans wo a clutch pedal. You'd even have to manually lock up the converter. Well, I guess you could use a 700r4 manual vac swtich for Lock UP if you wanted to, but then have to hook up disablers like the throttle switch and brake light to kill the lock up.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
HotRodPC - This is a ignorant question.... but what exactly is a lock-up setup on a 700R4 (or any trans) and why would you want one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade