Dead 700R4 - Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'd say he's on the right idea. $1100 for a WELL BUILT 700r4 and install it himself is best. Around here guys pay $1200-$1500 for a standard local tranny shop rebuild R&R and many of those are just a Jasper Swap job. So for $1100, he's trading his R&R for a better quality built trans. I've watched Mad Dog videos before of his process and what he puts in them. If he is true and doing what he says he does, it's not a powerhouse build, but it's a good quality and better then OE build. Only thing that has kept me from building my 700r4 trans, is it's going to be a Super Duty trans and the parts alone are going to cost me $700+. Monster's are overrated and I know of several people who got their upgraded trans and it failed in no time, and then Monster didn't want to warranty it cuz of off-road use. WTF do you think I bought the upgraded trans for you *********? Then shipping also kills a warranty since you usually have to pay shipping both ways, so get 1 that has a good reputation. Feedback Feedback Feedback !!! GO Read MadDogs FEEDBACK first. Last time I checked a year ago, it was good, realizing you can't please every picky ***** out there.

Damn bro...bout time you showed up.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
how about a craigslist 700r4? ive seen em for like 200-400. If you want it tougher then the 4l80 makes sense. just curious how do the 4l80 and the th400 fare against eachother?

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Optishift is the cheapest standalone at 600 on the aftermarket I've seen. I'm assuming you guys are talking about the harness and computer from an early 90s burb.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Have any you guys used a PATC transmission? 1400 for tranny and torque converter still seems pricey

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Have any you guys used a PATC transmission? 1400 for tranny and torque converter still seems pricey

Yup, I had a Raptor...didnt last long. Got a nice T shirt though.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup, I had a Raptor...didnt last long. Got a nice T shirt though.

I took a peak at their website.... what stage did you have? And what motor/tires and use did you put it through? (I want to compare components)

HotRodPC - I'm glad you joined on this thread, based on my other readings around here you are the transmission authority here. What do you think of the build sheet components for the L2 700R4:

Master Overhaul Kit which includes:
-all new lip seals
-all new gaskets
-all new Teflon rings
-new filter
-all new steels
-all new bushings
-all new Raybestos clutch discs
-all new sprags
This Level 2 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Mad Dog shift kit, and Raybestos 9 clutches (replaces factory 5 clutches in the 3-4 drum) the 9 clutch pack also has specialized heat treated steels that withstand much more heat, all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches through out the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings. A 500 boost valve, 10 vane pump rotor. The reason we run a 10 vane pump rotor and not a 13 vane pump rotor is because the more vanes it has in it weakens the rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, Sonnax wide-open throttle valve, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory) hardened input shaft and drum, 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand big horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band and a Billet servo ( the Billet servo has 30% more holding power, to give you that full throttle shift without burning up the band. For full competition use only). However, I highly recommend running a Corvette servo if your going to drive the vehicle every day.
We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run Sonnax aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.
This transmission can also be setup for pulling and towing (no extra charge).
For full manual valve body add an additional $400.00
NOTE: Let us know what type of shift you want. We can custom build each valve body for your application.
-Stage 1 is a factory shift.
-Stage 2 has a nice crisp shift and at wide open throttle it will put you in your seat.
-Stage 3 is for that Saturday night special. Be warned stage 3 shift is very violent!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
4l80 for 150. if these are tough enough and an easy swap id say no brainer.
http://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/3410265324.html
maybe i will put in a 350 someday... thought my best option was th400.

You oughta go snag that 4L80-E for $150. That's pretty much a steal for a 4L80-E core. Usually $250-$300 for just a core.

The Th400 and 4L80-E are pretty much equal in strength. Costly conversion though if you need to buy a controller to operate the 4L80-E. The difference between the 2 are the 4L80-E has OD. That's pretty much the difference. They even share many parts, have the same exact 1-3 ratios and all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I took a peak at their website.... what stage did you have? And what motor/tires and use did you put it through? (I want to compare components)

HotRodPC - I'm glad you joined on this thread, based on my other readings around here you are the transmission authority here. What do you think of the build sheet components for the L2 700R4:

I like it. I also like he explains WHY he does the upgrade, and WHAT it does. Most shops just list crap and so what. Do you know what they're adding? Nope, it's just names of parts to sound impressive and it's not.

He's also correct on the 10Vane Pump vs 13 Vane and still you get shops upgrading to 13 vane pumps. More IS NOT better. Sure it creates a bit more pressure, but the pressure is regulated down anyway so what's the point? And it does weaken the rotor severely.

I'm curious what he's using for the sunshell, cuz he doesn't specify The Beast or the Smartshell. Kinda makes me wonder if he's using another inferior thicker part. Also, he does mention the Kevlar band and Billet Servo. He does metion the Vette Servo for a daily driver. It'll be a very firm shifter into 2nd with the Billet, and the Stage 2 kit behind it. Avoid the Stage 3 Kit. It will be harsh, hard on U Joints and Transfer case. I'd ask his opinion on the Kevlar Band too. For Daily Drivers, I don't really care to use Kevlar. Just uas a good quality band, maybe a wider band, but not Kevlar. Kevlar is super strength for good holding power in performance apps, but I hear Kevlar also wears out quicker and only lasts about half as long as the OE material. As long as the 4 pinion planet is an OE GM planet and not from China it will be good too.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
You oughta go snag that 4L80-E for $150. That's pretty much a steal for a 4L80-E core. Usually $250-$300 for just a core.

The Th400 and 4L80-E are pretty much equal in strength. Costly conversion though if you need to buy a controller to operate the 4L80-E. The difference between the 2 are the 4L80-E has OD. That's pretty much the difference. They even share many parts, have the same exact 1-3 ratios and all.

What do you mean by core? It appears to be the whole thing. I pretty much know nothing about transmissions

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
When I went to have my 47re done I didn't have tools to do them and I've never done it so I decided to do as much research as I could to decide what was the consensus on the "best" areas to have upgraded in that trans. I saved about 3000 for a heavy towing trans over some of these brand name places. My truck pulls better with the upgraded clutch packs in overdrive then 3rd pulling 10000 pounds up mountains. Gained 2-3 mpg too. A very reputable shop in wichita, ks did mine called chance transmission. They even do in house torque converter. I have a triple disc. The guy to talk to is Jeff. He really can tell you what you need for your application. He is easy to talk to even if you dont use them. 13165291883. Ask for him and tell him what you want to do. I am no way affiliated. Just a happy customer. Maybe you can take his advise and go to a local shop armed with info.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Having googled MadDog it seems like there is a lot of drama regarding his transmissions... lots of nasty threads out there. Most of them are tales of transmissions without the parts ordered inside of them. Owner himself claims that in 06-07 they had too many employees and poor quality and have 1/3 of the staff and full testing on each unit these days, but there are still some very unhappy customers blasting him as recently as 10/2012. I'm getting fairly turned off. Hard to be 100% certain if its just a numbers game, at the prices he sells 700R4s at then that translates to a lot more unhappy/failed transmissions even at an acceptable failure rate.

IE:
1% failure rate
1000 trannys sold = 10 pissed customers
100 trannys sold = 1 pissed customer

I kinda want to pick the local tranny shop, pay a lot more, but at least I can drive up there for warranty work, meet people face to face.

STAGE I

Raybestos Z-Pack Upgraded ¾ Clutch Pack
Alto Wide Carbon Lined Power Band
Beast Sun Shell
TransGo Unbreakable Hardened Pump Vane Ring Kit
Corvette Servo
Sonnax Teflon Coated Rear Stator Bushing
0.500" Boost and 0.300" Reverse Boost Valves
Dual Cage Borg Warner Front Sprag

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What do you mean by core? It appears to be the whole thing. I pretty much know nothing about transmissions

A CORE, as in a complete unit that can be rebuilt. You know when you buy an alterantor, you have a Core charge? You take the old one back, you get a refund of the Core Charge.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Having googled MadDog it seems like there is a lot of drama regarding his transmissions... lots of nasty threads out there. Most of them are tales of transmissions without the parts ordered inside of them. Owner himself claims that in 06-07 they had too many employees and poor quality and have 1/3 of the staff and full testing on each unit these days, but there are still some very unhappy customers blasting him as recently as 10/2012. I'm getting fairly turned off. Hard to be 100% certain if its just a numbers game, at the prices he sells 700R4s at then that translates to a lot more unhappy/failed transmissions even at an acceptable failure rate.

IE:
1% failure rate
1000 trannys sold = 10 pissed customers
100 trannys sold = 1 pissed customer

I kinda want to pick the local tranny shop, pay a lot more, but at least I can drive up there for warranty work, meet people face to face.

That doesn't sound good. Why I said check his feedback. Also why I mentioned IF he puts it in there. Anyone can say anything but how do you know for sure? Noway you can know until it fails and you have someone take it apart. Is he the guy that will take a video of your trans being built if you want and mail you the CD with the transmission? There is someone out there that would do that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahhh, Brain Fart, Just as I hit Submit on the last post, I remembered, Gman or G-Man Transmisisons. I think he's another big one on eBay. Check into those guys and see what you find out.

I really need to get my **** together and start building 700r4's and 4L60-E's. I could make a good living just doing those 2 models cuz there are a ton of them on the road today. They're not the strogest transmission out there is my biggest fear, and If I put my name on the something, I don't want failures and I don't have all that much faith in 700r4's, not at those price points anyway. Even for my own 700r4, it's going to be $700 alone for the upgrades and parts I want in it, and lots of extra labor. Probably a $2500 transmission by the time I get done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman