Davbell22602 Tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not a fan of wreckers for day in day out use but they have their place. That is one of those situations where the wrecker would have been the way to go. It seems that every time I go out with a wrecker I end up spending all day out with it and every call is a tow. A week and a half ago I grabbed a wrecker because I had a private impound to do that would be better done with a wrecker. Ended up putting in an 11.5 hour day (we are not in a hugely busy area) and did 6 tows. All 6 needed to be dollied. I never did get to the Private impound that day.

Go Jacks would be nice but it doesn't come up often enough for the boss to want to spend the money for them. I can't say I blame him for that but there are times. I did suggest putting a Nelson plug on the back end of the rollbacks. It doesn't take up any more room on the truck and would come in handy more often than it might seem.

All the rollbacks I've driven had plugs on the passenger side, either at the rear with the controls, or up front near the passenger side step and had heavy duty 25-30 foot cables to plug into them. If it's at the front, you can pull up behind the car, if at the rear pull in front of it. I do prefer both locations though so you have options. Yikes, dollies on 6 in one day? That would suck. Throwing dollies sucks. I've only done it a few times since I usually drive a roll back. Go Jacks are badass to have even for the occasional use, but you're right, they're expensive and believe it or not, they get stolen alot too, so you have to have them locked to your bed and even then, they can still disappear.
This was my favorite tow truck to drive. Self Loader with manual controls at the back too. Along with a telescopic boom for off road and roll over recovery, plus sling for heavy hauls or the front ends knocked off, with dollies and go jacks. There wasn't anything but a few exotics and a few years of Vettes I couldn't get with this truck. I even towed 1 ton dually Crew Cabs with this one. Sadly the thing is a POS and always broke down with a 6.0 engine. It would be a great bed on a Dodge 4500 or 5500 Chassis. I'm actually hoping to buy this truck. Bossman has given up on it, and it's parked, he's saying for good.

Attachments

• f450 007b.jpg
    f450 007b.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 84

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
All the rollbacks I've driven had plugs on the passenger side, either at the rear with the controls, or up front near the passenger side step and had heavy duty 25-30 foot cables to plug into them. If it's at the front, you can pull up behind the car, if at the rear pull in front of it. I do prefer both locations though so you have options. Yikes, dollies on 6 in one day? That would suck. Throwing dollies sucks. I've only done it a few times since I usually drive a roll back. Go Jacks are badass to have even for the occasional use, but you're right, they're expensive and believe it or not, they get stolen alot too, so you have to have them locked to your bed and even then, they can still disappear.
This was my favorite tow truck to drive. Self Loader with manual controls at the back too. Along with a telescopic boom for off road and roll over recovery, plus sling for heavy hauls or the front ends knocked off, with dollies and go jacks. There wasn't anything but a few exotics and a few years of Vettes I couldn't get with this truck. I even towed 1 ton dually Crew Cabs with this one. Sadly the thing is a POS and always broke down with a 6.0 engine. It would be a great bed on a Dodge 4500 or 5500 Chassis. I'm actually hoping to buy this truck. Bossman has given up on it, and it's parked, he's saying for good.

Our go to wrecker is also a 6.0. :( We have two older trucks that combined spend less time in the shop. Boss probably should have replaced that wrecker instead of the OLD Intl rollback but I'm glad he did. Too bad he doesn't have extra money lying around. One of our competitors just bought a Ram 5500 quad cab 4x4 wrecker and then decided to go into the Class A stuff so they are looking to unload the new wrecker. It is copper colored too, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than white. You can't keep white clean.

On a side note, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked and should probably be cleaned up. The hijackers, if you can find them, should probably be severely beaten. :lazer:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Our go to wrecker is also a 6.0. :( We have two older trucks that combined spend less time in the shop. Boss probably should have replaced that wrecker instead of the OLD Intl rollback but I'm glad he did. Too bad he doesn't have extra money lying around. One of our competitors just bought a Ram 5500 quad cab 4x4 wrecker and then decided to go into the Class A stuff so they are looking to unload the new wrecker. It is copper colored too, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than white. You can't keep white clean.

On a side note, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked and should probably be cleaned up. The hijackers, if you can find them, should probably be severely beaten. :lazer:

Yeah, I already realized some of this needs moved to the tow thread. Will do when I have unlimited internet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS