Davbell22602 first Electolysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No. Nothing that short in angle iron. No room for it to sit at the bottom unless I clamp it like rebar to keep it from touching the intake. What about a 21 or 22 push mower blade?

Now you're thinking Dave !!! :waytogo: I think a mower blade would be a great choice. Did you come up with that by yourself??? And NO, I wouldn't use galvanzied either. Cold rolled steel or iron would be the best I think we're finding out. You got an old vehicle you can cut a chunk of the frame off of would be good too.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Now you're thinking Dave !!! :waytogo: I think a mower blade would be a great choice. Did you come up with that by yourself??? And NO, I wouldn't use galvanzied either. Cold rolled steel or iron would be the best I think we're finding out. You got an old vehicle you can cut a chunk of the frame off of would be good too.

I thought of the mower blade myself but would it be big enough for the intake.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought of the mower blade myself but would it be big enough for the intake.

There is sure alot more surface to the blade than that rebar. Also if you want, borrow another batt charger if you think your's isn't up to par. Not sure why you'd give up on this process. Its experimental you know. There is not perfect forumula as of yet, so try differant recipes, don't just give up on it. Not like you have to hover over it and watch. I'd watch for the first 10 minutes, then check it about every 45 minutes to hour. It works, and that intake is a perfect candidate. :grd:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
There is sure alot more surface to the blade than that rebar. Also if you want, borrow another batt charger if you think your's isn't up to par. Not sure why you'd give up on this process. Its experimental you know. There is not perfect forumula as of yet, so try differant recipes, don't just give up on it. Not like you have to hover over it and watch. I'd watch for the first 10 minutes, then check it about every 45 minutes to hour. It works, and that intake is a perfect candidate. :grd:

If I had another charger that was bigger amps I would. I'll try it again tomorrow or maybe tonight. I'll keep trying something gotta give sooner or later.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
DON'T GIVE UP MAN! :popcorn:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I had suggested trying rock salt but I'm not sure if you read everything sometimes.

Another thing to consider is the amount of metal conductor submerged in the water. In other words, you got a 40 pound intake submerged, but your electrode is about 8-10" of 1/2" rebar. You may have to put the intake up on its side or caddy-cornered so you can get more electrode (lawn mower blade, rebar, whatever big chunk of steel you can get) submerged to put out a good enough charge.

And you definitely have to mix your water/soda or rock salt up real good for it to work.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I had suggested trying rock salt but I'm not sure if you read everything sometimes.

Another thing to consider is the amount of metal conductor submerged in the water. In other words, you got a 40 pound intake submerged, but your electrode is about 8-10" of 1/2" rebar. You may have to put the intake up on its side or caddy-cornered so you can get more electrode (lawn mower blade, rebar, whatever big chunk of steel you can get) submerged to put out a good enough charge.

And you definitely have to mix your water/soda or rock salt up real good for it to work.

I wasnt mixing it up when I was doing it. I guess I'll try mixing it up with a 5 gallon paint mixer on a drill. So where is rock salt sold at? Is that the same as salt for water softner. We have a water softner here but dont know if that will be factor but its not on the out hoses though. Unless there's a water softner then there's cholorine in the water too.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

Thats why I said for him to use 4 lawn mower blades. to he actually draws off of 4 sides instead of 1-2" on 1 side.

Even better have a sheet of 10 gauge sheered off that go all the way around the container then weld a bolt to it to hook your Charger to. I think your right though he needs to mix it as well as put it on its side

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
rock salt is the stuff you use to melt snow and ice off your sidewalk or steps in the winter. Any home improvement, wal-mart, kroger's etc. also has it, might not now being almost summer.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Any kind of salt will do, but rock salt is plentiful at my house after these harsh winters.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It really doesn't matter dude, all you're doing is helping the water conduct electricity. You got washing soda in it now, take one of the beaters that goes in a blender like you use to make a cake and stick it in a cordless drill to stir it up (I do this trick for quick setting drywall mud). If it don't seem to help throw a 1/4 cup of salt in it and mix it up. If that don't help add another 1/4 cup. It shouldn't take much, as long as you got a good piece of clean scrap iron as an electrode that has a lot of surface area in the water.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What using the mower blade at one corner and 3 cut pieces of mower handle bar at the other 3 corners then run wire to all 4 corners plus put the positive on the mower blade.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
what is washing soda?

All I ever heard of is BAKING soda, or laundry soap in powder form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1985Reese